[SOLVED] Monitor was running at 144hz and has suddenly capped to 120hz

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 9, 2018
Hey all.
I have a AOC 24G2U/BK 23.8" Monitor that has been running 144hz since I got it 2 months ago
and suddenly it is now capped at 120hz and I don't even have the option to change it to 144hz.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Solution
Check the cable and monitor supports 144hz at HDTV res. If you're using something like an HDMI cable, you might need to switch to a dual link DVI cable (DVI-I/DVI-D).

Cameron231099

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2014
Check the cable and monitor supports 144hz at HDTV res. If you're using something like an HDMI cable, you might need to switch to a dual link DVI cable (DVI-I/DVI-D).

Solution
Jul 6, 2020
I also just noticed that, out of the blue, my AOC G2590FX has capped itself to 120hz in Nvidia Control Panel as well as Windows 10's settings. I was able to get around it by setting a custom resolution in Nvidia Control Panel, but I shouldn't have to do that and definitely didn't have to before. Kind of concerning.

UncleDomek

Reputable
Jul 6, 2020
I have the same monitor and the same problem, also I've been searching for this problem and it seems more people are having it lately. My guess are latest Nvidia drivers. If you have Nvidia GPU by any chance too.

Last edited:

UncleDomek

Reputable
Jul 6, 2020
I have rolled back to 441.66 and I still have it capped at 120Hz. I guess just wait and some update might fix it, don't think it would be cable problem, because a lot of people are experiencing it right now.

EDIT: Just checked, still have 441.66 and I didn't see 144Hz in NVIDIA Control Panel but I did find 144Hz in the Windows Settings. It now also shows in Nvidia Control Panel. So I guess it's a driver issue and might be fixed with newer drivers.

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2022
Ive got a very similar issue with the AOC 27G2

It only gives me the option for 120hz on Ultra HD with a Displayport cable. When i switch to a PC Resolution I can select 140 hz, but then the bottom 10-20 pixels are switched off with no way to get them back to working.
Super weird ... I reinstalled windows, all related drivers and reset all values to factory settings and it still does not work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS