monitor went BANG! please help

G

I have (had)a sony cpd -400p 19" monitor.
the other day i was playing medal of honor and it went "bang".
pc had been on about 3hours, so it's not overheating.
the screen went black, and it made a repeated hich pitched beep. the green power light cycles on and off in time with the beeping and the screen stays black. it does this every time i start up.
i tested my pc with another monitor and that's fine, so it must be my monitor.
i took out the only fuse I could find and checked it and that's fine too.
obviously, there's power or it wouldn't start. i reckon it's probably some sort of power problem though. could it be a problem with the transformer, maybye power switching?
anyone got any ideas? i've tried all the local places (cardiff, s wales), but no-one repairs monitors.
i've tried sony locally and they couldn't recommend anyone. i don't want to chuck it out, as it's a nice bit of kit, but i'm at my wits end.
anyone ever heard of anything like this? if so, please reply,
i'm begging you....
love,
spudlad

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
rofl rofl rofl
the name of your post made me crack up for some reason.

is it under warantee or not?
if it is the sony HAS to take responsibility...

if its outta warantee your basically on your own.
you could try a local electrician/tv repair person... but this just sounds inherently risky.

this any help?
<A HREF="http://www.northwalesindex.co.uk/pages/132.html" target="_new">http://www.northwalesindex.co.uk/pages/132.html</A>

when my 17" went wobbly a few years back it was outta warantee, fortunately i had a tech friend who knew a place that serviced them... for a hefty fee. plus i was without it for almost 2 weeks :(

it happens to be going bad again now... but as its almost 5 years old its just gonna be trashed. not worth being repaired.

Morally destitute, Emotionally bankrupt but a proud and respected member of Toms Forums! :smile: <P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by lhgpoobaa on 03/26/02 00:05 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

Conehead

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2002
Usually when a monitor goes BANG!...its not a good sign...:(

"Being Canadian, I can only stay online as long as my igloo generator is running..."

G

just an update to say i bought a new 19" fst monitor ("gericom", appropriately!)from the local german chain supermarket Lidl the other day for 150quid (about $220). I'll have to remember to keep the receipt this time.
I still can't find anyone to repair my old one, but if I do , I'll post details of the repair/ parts needed.
In the old days my dad would repair a teevee just by pouring a pint of lukewarm water in the back and poking it with a wire coathanger...
all my love,
spudlad

WiseGuy1

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2001
In the old days my dad would repair a teevee just by pouring a pint of lukewarm water in the back and poking it with a wire coathanger...

whoa.. there's easier ways to commit suicide! Those puppies can store some serious voltage.

<A HREF="http://members.ud.com/services/teams/team.htm?id=510E6639-84A1-465D-A914-07BDB039E379" target="_new">UD</A>

TRENDING THREADS