Question Monitor will not Display PC Signal After Lightning Strike

Jan 2, 2020
We experienced a lightning strike on our property (about 10 feet from the house) and, as a result, lost a few pieces of electronics.

One of the affected items was my PC Monitor (Viewsonic VX2703mh-LED). Previous to the lightning strike, I was using the HDMI port at 1080 resolution with a 1060 GT graphics card in a custom built tower.

Testing the monitor, I found out it still displays a perfect signal from the HDMI port when connected to a Roku (4200X) but not when connected to my PC or any laptop (tested with 3 separate laptops).

I've also been able to display my PC's signal via the HDMI port on another monitor.

I would be fine ditching the monitor if it was a complete failure, but because it displays the roku signal, I'm hesitant and would like to know if there's any way to utilize this monitor, specifically to display my PC's video signal.

I'm thinking something got fried in the monitor, and am hoping someone out there is familiar with this issue and can provide some insight.

davidgirgis

Honorable
Feb 24, 2016
A sudden brown-out/black-out fried the power supply unit inside my 2006 Apple Mac Pro.
Replaced the PSU, everything worked normally. I have sold that machine since then.

That is a pickle, when connected to one of your laptops, try changing the output signal to a lower resolution and refresh rate. Maybe the ROKU is outputting at 1080p at 30Hz. Try different settings in your display driver, possibly 1080p at 60Hz. It's definitely worth a try...

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS