[SOLVED] Monitor Will Randomly Turn Black (only while extending the displays)

Apr 21, 2020
Hey!

I have a very weird issue. I have a laptop, to which I connected another monitor too, via HDMI. The issue I am getting is that randomly my second monitor will turn black (but not off). I would be able to take my mouse to the second display but won't be able to see anything, I can also drag windows from the second monitor to the first. Something that's weird is that if I duplicate the displays, I can see the duplication on my second monitor, but once I revert back to extending the displays it goes back to being black. To get my displays to extend again (and be visible) I have to restart my laptop multiple times and even then sometimes it will work for a couple of minutes and then go back to being black.

I know for a fact that it's not an issue with the monitor because I use the same monitor while gaming on my PS4, and I also plugged the monitor into another laptop and it worked perfectly fine.

Some of the things I have tried:
  • Tried a different HDMI cable
  • Tried reinstalling drivers (Intel HD graphics 3000)
  • Reset Windows (but kept personal files)
  • Tried another computer with the monitor and it worked fine
  • Tried using this laptop (with the issue) with a TV and it worked fine (like extending displays)

The issue only occurs when I use this laptop with the monitor. Any ideas on how I can fix it?

Solution
i had the same issue.. changing to a new HDMI cable fixed this issue for me.. also cleaning the HDMI port on both my laptop and monitor stopped this from repeating at all.. cause 6-7 days after switching onto a new cable i got this problem again. so i went ahead and cleaned the ports. make sure you drain all the electricity from your monitor by pressing on the power button after you have disconnected it from the wall plug.. remove all the wires before doing so. and shut down ur laptop aswell.. id suggest to unplug the battery to be on the safe side.
May 24, 2020
i had the same issue.. changing to a new HDMI cable fixed this issue for me.. also cleaning the HDMI port on both my laptop and monitor stopped this from repeating at all.. cause 6-7 days after switching onto a new cable i got this problem again. so i went ahead and cleaned the ports. make sure you drain all the electricity from your monitor by pressing on the power button after you have disconnected it from the wall plug.. remove all the wires before doing so. and shut down ur laptop aswell.. id suggest to unplug the battery to be on the safe side.

Solution
May 24, 2020
I will! How did you clean it? Did you just use compressed air? Or something else?
i have a blower .. first i used that, which fixed the issue for 3-4 days. then i took a cotton swab and sprayed tiny bit of deodorant on it n swabbed away..
Note :- the deo was not anti antiperspirant but the normal one. u can use an alcohol wipe for it.. reason why draining the electricity completely is necessary.

i have a blower .. first i used that, which fixed the issue for 3-4 days. then i took a cotton swab and sprayed tiny bit of deodorant on it n swabbed away..
Note :- the deo was not anti antiperspirant but the normal one. u can use an alcohol wipe for it.. reason why draining the electricity completely is necessary.
I wouldn't use deodorant to clean the connectors. You would have the best luck with some crc branded contact cleaner, an alcohol wipe, or a high quality 'cleaner' type liquid car wax, but you will need to make sure you get all the wax cleaned out of the connector as it is a bit thick and hard to control.

And even with all that, it simply may not work. My dad's system is like that with a particular HP monitor. What I have discovered is that if the monitor goes into sleep mode, this problem happens--so I make sure it doesn't sleep.

May 24, 2020
I wouldn't use deodorant to clean the connectors. You would have the best luck with some crc branded contact cleaner, an alcohol wipe, or a high quality 'cleaner' type liquid car wax, but you will need to make sure you get all the wax cleaned out of the connector as it is a bit thick and hard to control.

And even with all that, it simply may not work. My dad's system is like that with a particular HP monitor. What I have discovered is that if the monitor goes into sleep mode, this problem happens--so I make sure it doesn't sleep.
ive been using deo's to clean such things for ages now.. never faced a problem.. ive even cleaned my ps1 ps2 cd's back in the day.. all are still in running condition..