[SOLVED] Monitor with digital audio out

Mar 25, 2021
Hi everyone,
I'm currently using my old 42 inch HD Sony TV as my PC screen. Also a Chromecast and PS3 are connected to it.
For audio output I have a great old AKAI AM-95 amp with digital inputs, so I used a Toslink to connect the TV to the amp.
Recently I bought a RTX 3070 video card and I feel like I could switch to higher resolutions and refresh rates.
I started to search for a good monitor (HDR, 4k, high refresh rate, good colors) and found many, however it seems that even the most expensive ones only have a standard 3.5mm line out. I could not find any monitors with digital audio output.
Is there any such monitor? Or maybe somebody has an idea on how to connect my devices to the amp (especially Chromecast seems difficult as I guess it would require a HDMI sound extractor that would probably force 60Hz refresh rate).
I would appreciate your help on this.

Solution
Could still use 3.5mm audio jack from monitor for use with Chromecast sound connected from monitor to av jacks at the back of your amp. 3.5mm to av would work.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
I can't find any monitors with optical out either. Would be useful because plenty of people are using monitors on consoles. It would open the door in keeping the signal digital.

Instead of trying to extract audio from the graphics card, it'll be just as good running audio from the motherboard if it's got optical or sound card.

Mar 25, 2021
My mobo (MSI gaming max plus) doesn't have digital audio outputs unfortunately. I did not even check it when I was buying as I thought it is obvious it will have like my previous cheap mobo. My bad. But soundcard will not help as I also need to connect Chromecast that has only HDMI out. It's very frustrating.. I think I'll have to buy a new TV instead, that I totally don't need as I don't watch TV. And obviously a TV will have worse gaming parameters. It's so frustrating..

Mar 25, 2021
Thanks, I think I forgot to write that I aim to have all devices connected with digital connectors to the amp. I am really surprised that even more expensive large 40+ inch monitors don't have digital out. I thought it will be easy to switch my old TV to a new monitor. Seems not many people use digital audio connectors when gaming.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Yeah, especially when pc speakers are yet to support hdmi passthrough like an AVR would.

Digital has no interference I'll give it that, having experience with an AVR. Though analogue audio is pretty good also and not as EQ restricted from the source end. Digital audio can be quite bland in sound if the receiver doesn't have it's own EQ.