[SOLVED] Monitor wizards I need your help, its time for an upgrade

roryrocker13

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2015
So im really into hardware as most people on these forums probably are, and ive been making gaming PCs for years, just the one thing I never seem to care about is my monitor, ive always gamed on whatever I have lying around and to be honest, my now 10 year old phillips TV thats like 25.5 inch is just not cutting it lol, because of this lack of interest in monitors other than knowing the panel types and obviously refresh rates ect (i know most of the technical side of monitors) I dont really keep up to date with what is a good purchase like I do with other hardware.

My situation is, more now than ever I spend alot of time in bed watching movies and such (thanks covid for no job) but I also game now and again too, my card is a gtx 1070 so I cant use HDMI 2.1 so 4k 120hz tvs are out the question to do the job of both, this leads me to want to get one monitor for my gaming and a cheap 4k tv or even QHD tv for my wall. budget is about £300 for each and I am looking for a gaming monitor and a decentish TV (i know its not going to be amazing on that budget) I did look at some QHD gaming monitors (120hz+) although they didnt fill me with confidence around the £300 range about their colour quality (gigabyte g27qc for example), would it make more sense to drop down to 1080p to get a nicer experience in terms of less motion blur / frame blur and a nicer palet of colours? One more thing, I do also video edit and film I used to do professionally however I rarely do now, I would love to get back into it but I am looking for a gaming monitor more than an absolutely perfect colour and clarity that a high end IPS would offer, just bear that in mind though, anyway reccomendations would be great, il try answer any questions. Il be searching in the meantime too if I find any il drop them in here and gather some thoughts, thanks anyone who helps

Solution
GTX1070 is not likely to be able to drive a 4k monitor past the usual 60hz rate.
My suggestion is to see some candidate monitors and TV's in person if you can.
For the most immersive gaming, look for a wide screen monitor.
Bust your budget for a good one.
It will last you for a long time.

A displayport connection will usually be needed to run a 2k monitor at 60hz or better.
I would defer on the TV purchase.
Watch TV on your old TV or possibly you can watch streams on your new monitor.

For best quality, look for a ips type panel with a 178/178 viewing angle.
Particularly if you play games that are more visual like mmo,sims, and strategy games.
If you are a fast action gamer then a faster tn type panel might be better.
Keep your old...
GTX1070 is not likely to be able to drive a 4k monitor past the usual 60hz rate.
My suggestion is to see some candidate monitors and TV's in person if you can.
For the most immersive gaming, look for a wide screen monitor.
Bust your budget for a good one.
It will last you for a long time.

A displayport connection will usually be needed to run a 2k monitor at 60hz or better.
I would defer on the TV purchase.
Watch TV on your old TV or possibly you can watch streams on your new monitor.

For best quality, look for a ips type panel with a 178/178 viewing angle.
Particularly if you play games that are more visual like mmo,sims, and strategy games.
If you are a fast action gamer then a faster tn type panel might be better.
Keep your old monitor as a side monitor for email, performance monitors and such.
It will not impact your gaming performance.

Solution

roryrocker13

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2015
Yeah im aware a 1070 doesnt come with hdmi 2.1 so it wouldnt be able to run more than 60hz at 4k, currently where I am at atm there is no "viewing in shop" you can only get things delivered unless its an essential item. I wouldnt be gaming on the TV purely viewing movies and videos. Gaming to be done on a monitor, nobody can use a keyboard and mouse in bed lmao. I think what I was saying got twisted, I need a TV for viewing in a different location it will simply just be hooked up to my PC and probably to a arial too.

roryrocker13

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2015
I picked the gigabyte G27QC for a monitor, there was a simularly priced AOC one and I also looking at the aboved linked samsung as well as a samsung G55 although that was on pre order and I wasnt convinced it would be that much bettter, the gigabyte had a longer warranty for me, and knowing my luck I was willing to pay an extra 15 quid for the reassurance that I would have a 3 year warranty and also an adjustable stand lol. Still have to look around for a TV