Keltus

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2002
Hi,

Recently, I decided to build my very own computer. I made a few bad choices here and there but I ended up with this:

Pentium 4 1.9Ghz 400Mhz FSB
Asus P4B533
80GB 7200 RPM western digital
Generic 512 MB PC2100 DDR RAM <-- I know! :(
Chaintech Geforce 4 TI 4200 64MB
MT-3000 case with a Codegen 300W P4 Ready Power supply
Futura LD712 17" monitor
and a few other bits and pieces

now, I read the monitor guide before buying my moniter, and decided I would run my system at 1024 x 768 which would give it 86Hz. At the online store micropro.com, they said the monitor had a "flat square tube" and it also says that in the minitor's manual. When I got the monitor though, the screen was not really that flat. It was just as curved as the the computers at my office. I called the customer service and they said that that was just how the monitors were called and that they just copied the stats from the manufacturor. Now what should I do? Is this the fault of the manufacturer or the dealer? does "flat square tube" mean it can still be curvy? My dad's monitor he got from Samsung was truly flat. I feel pretty shafted.

Please advise.

Thanks,
Jeff

GoSharks

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
Flat, square is an industry standard term used since 1997 indicating minimal curvature of the monitor tube. This does not mean that the monitor is completely flat. Prior 1997 conventional CRTs had a large radius curvature to them. Modern Flat Square CRTs have a very slight curvature.

The only real advantage to pure flat CRT’s is some glare reduction.

Jim Witkowski
Monitorsdirect.com

<A HREF="http://www.monitorsdirect.com" target="_new">MonitorsDirect.com</A>

max_clif

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2002
Personally I think Viewsonic's flat screen stuff is the biggest ripoff since they seem to just place a flat piece of glass on a curved image lol

But back to what your problem. Yes Gosharks is absolutely right, there is still some curvature on Flatscreens but seems like yours wasnt meant to be labelled flat at all.

You're the one who has to live with this monitor for the next 2 - 3 years. Do you think you'll be happier 1 year from now with this monitor? I suggest forcing the issue and talking directly with a manager in charge and demanding an exchange or refund.

You should spank yourself for not taking a look at this particular model in person at any number of stores in your area. Next time, you know :p

Keltus

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2002
I should have looked at the monitor first, but I was low on time - had about a week before college and it tkes time to ship.

now should I be talking to the dealer, or the manufacturor? because both point me to the other direction.

max_clif

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2002
Well, who took your money, the manufacturer or the retailer? The ppl who took your money are in the position to return it. So dont let the store give you the run-around, talk directly the managers in charge.

Dont just email them, CALL them by voice. The manufacturers arent going to do anything for you I would think. It's your money, how this ends up will depend on how insistent you are :p

Best wishes on this one.

GoSharks

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
Max

It’s not just ViewSonic, All flat screen CRT’s with the exception of LG, are made flat simply by adding more glass in the corners. They are still curved on the inside.

Jim Witkowski
Chief Hardware Engineer
Monitorsdirect.com

compuhan

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2002
All screens are curved but varying degrees for tube types which is significant to mention. Shadow masks, even in "flat" crts such as samsung dynaflat, are noticeabley more curved than ap grilles. Ap grilles are nearly undetectable by most folks. Even the glass of trinitron and sony are curved as detected by a ruler but hardly by eye.

Jim, are sony tubes just a bit more flat than diamondtrons or is it just me? I've have the two side by side and the sony looks flatter (these are not the older vertically flat models btw). The pincushion is controlled for, so why is this? Also, I noticed the sony tube looks flared (behind the "flat" glass) as if to compensate for curvature while the diamontron doesn't have a noticeable outward flare. The flare is only noticeable when the monitor is off and a reflection is present on the inside tube.

Sorry for all these tedious questions, but you are an unbiased expert and seem willing to share your knowledge.

Quality is better than name brand, even regarding beloved AMD.

GoSharks

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
Like I said, all so called flat CRT’s are curved on the inside, with the notable exception of the LG CRT’s, which are flat on the inside and out.

Are the Sony’s a little flatter than the Mitsubishis, personally I could care less. What difference does a millimeter or two make. Looking at the specifications for both the Sony and Mitsubishi they look identical, however I don’t have the spec for every CRT made.

I don’t understand your question about pincushion.

Flat CRT’s is more a marketing gimmick than any real benefit IMHO.

Jim Witkowski
Chief Hardware Engineer
Cornerstone / MOnitorsdirect.com