Monitor won't display after installing a new graphics card

photoeditspro

Honorable
Mar 6, 2012
Hello

I need some help Im trying to install my new graphics card its a Radeon HD6770 my computer specs are

dell inspiron 530
intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 450 @2.20GHz 2.19GHz
ram 2.0gb
intel G33/G31 express chipset family

When i plug the cord from the monitor to the on board graphic my computer boots right up with no issues. but if i plug the cord into the 6770 graphics card the monitor is black and goes into power saving mode but the tower seems to boot up i can hear the fans/power supply and the blue light on the power button turn on and stays on. when i open the case i can see the fan on the graphics card is spinning

I also have a new power supply in it its a Corsair CX430

any idea on how to get my graphics card working?

terryd75

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2012

Go into your bios and change the settings from On Board graphis, to the one you are using. you have to tell the bios which one you want to use. Right now, the on board one is selected..

sometime you have to let windows boot with the cable on the onboard video. let it boot into windows and install the video card drivers. when it done reboot. if the video still on the onboard you have to go into windows device manager and turn off onboard video or selete the ati video as monitor 1.

photoeditspro

Honorable
Mar 6, 2012
I downloaded the drivers and the utility from the disk that came with the graphics card but it still isn't showing anything in the monitor and enters power saving mode anything else i can try to get this graphics card to work?

photoeditspro

Honorable
Mar 6, 2012
i booted with onboard graphics in device manager its shows asus other devices when i switch the cable it goes straight into power saving mode and doesnt show anything what else can i do? also when i first logged onto my user name it has a small window that says smart doctor than an error comes up and says can not find asus graphics card

photoeditspro

Honorable
Mar 6, 2012
I only have this computer and a laptop and no friends with a computer. and the fan on the graphics card runs so wouldn't that mean that it works? and what does RMA mean? sorry i dont know alot about computers

RMA - return merchandise authorization
From Wikipedia:
A return merchandise authorization (RMA), return goods authorization (RGA), or return merchandise agreement (rarely return material authorization) is the process of having a product repaired or replaced in order to receive a refund or credit for another product from the same retailer or corporation within the product's warranty period. The RMA process and the issuance of an RMA is a key gatekeeping moment in the reverse logistics cycle. This term is often used in the electronics industry as a part of service agreements, according to which the customer returns the product back to the company and gets a new or repaired product back, generally with an additional warranty on the returned product.

Basically it involves contacting the shop you bought the card from and requesting them to repair/exchange your card because it isn't working.

TrentSp

Reputable
Dec 16, 2015
I had ordered a new Radeon R9 GPU a month back, and I went through all the troubleshooting and still could not figure it out, eventually I found out my MSI motherboard BIOS firmware was not updated, to update it I had to flash it using my old GPU which still worked, after doing all of this my new card finally decided to work....

tdashhoot

Reputable
Feb 1, 2016
Hey i just put in an asus 210silent. Everything is kicked and loaded... It won't let me install the drive for the210 without it hooked up. Well while its hooked up the screens black neither the old or new work. The onboard only works when the asus is unplugged. I don't get it. I might just try to find a way to install drivers before that's the only thing i can think of

mx200394

Commendable
Feb 25, 2016

Installing new video cards can be tricky if you do not do your research on what to do. I have found very little about switching from one video card to another or just installing video card. So here is what you do.

-Before installing your new video card make sure you uninstall your old driver files from the old video card. You will right click on the start button/windows start button. Select device manager and uninstall all old video card drivers if you are replacing a video card.
-Unplug everything and turn off the power supply with the switch in the back.
-Open the side of your case, and use computer duster to clean out all dust that may be in the case. You do not want dust in your PCI slot.
-When touching new hardware go to an area of the house or your home where there is no carpet or anything to create static or has a lot of dust.
-Remove old video card from the case and set that somewhere safe in case you want to use it for a different build or sell it for some extra cash.
-Open up box and remove new video card and install it into the PCI slot as the old card was sitting in.
(More than one card you want your video card closest to the CPU and secondary cards below. This is so the CPU can interact with the card fastest.)
-Connect 6/8 pin power cables to the new card. They are keyed so if it does not fit in correctly that is because you are forcing it into the keyed slot wrong.
-Once that is connected leave the case open reconnect all USB and plugs and turn on the Power Supply. Start a boot with the monitor connected into the new video card if you had a video card in the computer before. IF not use the Motherboard VGA/DVI slot.
-Insert the disk and load the drivers. Once the drivers are installed the card will work correctly. If you are using a video card for the first time you will note your monitor connected to the mother board will turn off. You can remove and connect to the video card and it will work. The drivers Bipass the VGA/DVI ports on the mother board.

***Important things to note. Make sure Video card power draw is not more than PSU. This will cause the card not to work. Make sure when installing the video card not to touch the gold connection for the PCI slot. Make sure you are grounded so no static shocks the Mother Board, or Card. This will destroy it. Always make sure power supply is off when changing parts because extra power can surge and fry your computer and hardware,***

If these problems continue your power supply is either too weak to support the card.

jmfields00

Prominent
Sep 26, 2017
Want to know if this worked, because my new gpu shows the ROG logo then it stops displaying. I'd like to know where to find this BIOS setting mentioned earlier.