Question Monitor wont turn on after installing new GPU

Apr 9, 2019
Motherboard: ASUS Prime B350-Plus
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600X
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 2x8 GB
SSD: NVMe SSD 960 EVO
PSU: Cooler Master V650

I was using a 1080 Ti ROG STRIX, upgraded to 2080 Ti ROG STRIX today.

After installing the new GPU the monitor won't turn on. I tried 2 different monitors, both with HDMI and DP, I also tried uninstalling all nvidia drivers. I also made sure to attach the 2 8 pin connectors to the new graphics card.

After I put it in I can't get the monitor to work, not even if I try connecting the HDMI directly to the motherboard.

The GPU fans are spinning, all other fans are spinning too, GPU is pulsing in red color (not sure if relevant, probably not).

Is it possible that the PSU is not strong enough? I'm not overclocking so I think it should be plenty.

Not sure what else could be going wrong.

Last edited:

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Well your system doesn't have onboard video, so the motherboard's port shouldn't work.

Could be a dead card.

If you install the 1080Ti again, does that work still?

Have you tried removing and re-installing the 2080Ti?

Power supply is an idea, but the power requirements are the same between the stock cards, so even custom ones won't be all that diffferent. Particularly with no load.

Apr 9, 2019
Well your system doesn't have onboard video, so the motherboard's port shouldn't work.

Could be a dead card.

If you install the 1080Ti again, does that work still?

Have you tried removing and re-installing the 2080Ti?

Power supply is an idea, but the power requirements are the same between the stock cards, so even custom ones won't be all that diffferent. Particularly with no load.

Yep tried removing it multiple times, the 1080 ti works fine. the 2080 ti was freshly packed directly from amazon, what are the odds that it's dead?

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Pretty much 100% from what you are describing.

Some component maybe got jostled enough to come loose during shipping. Or it failed to properly be quality checked before packaging. Mishandling during installation (far less likely, but you never know), bad plating on the PCIe connector, faulty component that passed their testing but was only a matter of time, exposure to extreme altitude or cold that caused component failure.

Only other possibility would be some freak incompatibility with your hardware. You could maybe try a motherboard BIOS update if you aren't already on the latest.