[SOLVED] Monitor won't use highest refresh rate

Status
Not open for further replies.

vincent227

Commendable
Dec 26, 2018
Hello,

I recently noticed that my 165hz monitor wont go further then 144hz. I do have the option to set it higher, but then my GPU clock speeds are going higher in idle. How am i going to get higher refresh rate ingame without getting high clock speed in idle?

Do i have to set it manually to 165hz when i start a game everytime and set it back to 144hz? It feels like the monitor locks on 144hz even when i set the game refresh rates at 165hz.

What i've done so far;
- Set highest available refresh rate in 3d settings in Nvidia control panel.

Hardware;
Monitor; MSI OPTIX MAG272CQR
Graphics card; GTX 1080

I hope anyone can help me with this.

Thank you.
Vincent

Lutfij

Titan
Just for added measure, use DDU to uninstall your GPU drivers, reboot and then manually reinstall the latest Nvidia drivers in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator. See if that curbs the high clock speeds. That bug/issue was seen in he previous gen cards from Nvidia. You should also make sure you're on the latest BIOS version for your motherboard prior to your GPU driver reinstallation.

vincent227

Commendable
Dec 26, 2018
https://www.msi.com/Monitor/Optix-MAG272CQR/Specification
Display Port: 2560 x 1440 (Up to 165Hz)

using display port?

Yes i'm using a Display port cable

Just for added measure, use DDU to uninstall your GPU drivers, reboot and then manually reinstall the latest Nvidia drivers in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator. See if that curbs the high clock speeds. That bug/issue was seen in he previous gen cards from Nvidia. You should also make sure you're on the latest BIOS version for your motherboard prior to your GPU driver reinstallation.

Oke i will try this out, i will update this thread after this is done. Thank you!

vincent227

Commendable
Dec 26, 2018
So.. i found out that if I change my resolutions from 2560 x 1440 to 1920 x 1080 at 165hz that the clock speeds are going down with idle completely.

I don't know what or how? But this should be a fix for nvidia i assume? Unless someone else know another solution?

This is just crazy..

Status
Not open for further replies.