Monitor won't work after replacing SIMM RAM

Victor0011

Reputable
Jun 26, 2014
Hello,

Two days ago, I got an old computer (Intel Pentium, two 4MB SIMM RAM sticks...): an Epson Endeavor IIp. I only wanted to open it and have a look, as I'm a beginner on hardware stuff.

So I decided to remove both RAMs, just to learn how to upgrade one in future cases, and I put them back. I put the cover back and I booted my PC but... Nothing happens. The fan and the lights turn on, and the CPU appears to be working properly, but the monitor won't turn on. I checked whether all was well conencted and so they are, so I don't know what the problem is. Do you have any idea?

Thank you so much,

Victor

PS: I don't have access to BIOS, as the monitor is completely off (it only has the orange light which indicates it's off).

Victor0011

Reputable
Jun 26, 2014

Sorry, said wrong: when the monitor is ON but there's nothing on screen (as if in a working PC I push the OFF button) it has an orange light.

Jake Fister

Reputable
Jun 4, 2014
I don't know how the RAM would affect your monitor, that's strange. Check to make sure your video card is still secure and all your connections are good. I know you've probably already tried that but I'm not sure why else it would quit working. Lemme know how that works and we'll go from there.

Victor0011

Reputable
Jun 26, 2014

I haven't touched the video card, why can it affect it? Anyways, I'll take it out and I'll return it back, and I'll tell you how is it. Thank you!!

EDIT: I've been looking and I see my video card is integrated, what should I do next?

Ahhh, SIMM Ram, That brings back some memories! :)

Caution: You are dealing with some old school static sensitive stuff there, make sure when inside the case one hand stays on a metal surface of the case to keep you grounded.

Pull the memory modules back out, and re-seat them again.

What's the dust situation with that old machine?

You have to be careful no dust or trash gets into the memory slot.

Those old VGA cables were notorious for the pins getting bent when you plug the cables into the sockets, make sure that didn't happen?

Victor0011

Reputable
Jun 26, 2014

Done :)

Victor0011

Reputable
Jun 26, 2014

Hey, sorry, I didn't see this comment. About the dust, it was quite dusty, but it worked fine. When I opened the dust disappeared with the days and now is quite clean, so I don't think is a dust problem.

Victor0011

Reputable
Jun 26, 2014

It's OK :) But despite being a total noob, I really don't understand the logic of "RAM goes wrong, monitor doesn't work" and why is the video card involved in it if it's an integrated one... Thanks for all anyways :)

EDIT: No, it still doesn't work.

Victor0011

Reputable
Jun 26, 2014
Hello!

Fortunately, the computer returned to life. I turned the mobo and then I realized the CPU was half fitted in the socket, what a noob mistake!

Well, I want to thank everyone who spent his time in answering me, this is my first post (that's why the Best Solution bugged) and I am really happy with the attention I got, you are awesome, really.

Víctor

Because it was integrated motherboard board video, which shares the system memory, and re-seating the memory got them working again, simple actually. Congratulations you solved your problem and didn't even know why, but you do now! :)

Victor0011

Reputable
Jun 26, 2014

Thank you so much all for all your time and attention ^^ By the way, now that I have a 'brand new' Windows 95 PC, do you have any ideas of what can I do with it? I mean programs and all that stuff... What about WiFI? Or USB...?

TRENDING THREADS