Question monitoring cpu says "temp" is high, but all cores are much lower

Sep 16, 2019
Hi, recently I started noticing sudden frame drops in all my games after i play for a bit and started realizing that it most probably is about overheating. So I kept monitoring and realized that my CPU sits over 60 at idle sometimes, while hitting 100 and throttling frequently. So I undervolted and underclocked and what I found was my cores being in the 70-80s when I'm playing, perfectly fine, but the main temp(which I assume determines throttling) is always 10-15 degrees higher. Now my plan was always to go clean up the laptop and replace the thermal paste because I read online that it is a common issue with my laptop(Lenovo y50-70) that they have the worst thermal pastes and everyone had overheating issues because of it. But in the meantime, is there anything that I can possibly change about this temp? Why is the main temp higher while the core temps are significantly less? Are there small simple fixes to try and work through this till I submit it for maintenance by the end of the month?
Specs:
Core I7 4720 HQ
16 GB Ram
Geforce GTX 960M

any help would be appreciated greatly, thanks!

muffinmanbored

Prominent
Nov 2, 2018
as for why the core temps are lower than the main temp, i dont know, but there isnt anything you can really do aside from change the paste yourself or have someone else change it to alleviate this. sorry mate

j3ster

Reputable
May 23, 2016
maybe you can point a fan onto your laptop while you game, i used to do that and it helped. but if you use your laptops keyboard your fingers might get chilly so buy an extra keyboard if you dont have one.

but i think its not that expensive to go to some pc repair or pc retail shop and ask them if they can re-apply thermal paste for you sometimes its not even just the thermal paste it can be other things, a friend once wondered why his laptop overheats a lot. found out that there were dead ants that got stuck under his hard drive and under the cpu socket not on the actual cpu it self.