Monitoring electrical usage?

poorbugger

Distinguished
Hello, i live in a public college dorm where it's like a huge block with many rooms in it. Sort of like a hotel but without the fancy air conditioning. So my question is, is it possible for college office to know which room uses the most electric? Can they narrow it down specifically?

kanewolf

Titan
Hello, i live in a public college dorm where it's like a huge block with many rooms in it. Sort of like a hotel but without the fancy air conditioning. So my question is, is it possible for college office to know which room uses the most electric? Can they narrow it down specifically?
Is it possible -- Definitely. Is it likely? no. The age of the building would be a factor. An old building would not have technology like this when it was built. It would have to be added. That is unlikely. A brand new building might have this level of monitoring to get an energy efficiency rating. Energy efficient ratings on buildings get the owner tax breaks so there is incentive to put in more up-front costs.

poorbugger

Distinguished
Is it possible -- Definitely. Is it likely? no. The age of the building would be a factor. An old building would not have technology like this when it was built. It would have to be added. That is unlikely. A brand new building might have this level of monitoring to get an energy efficiency rating. Energy efficient ratings on buildings get the owner tax breaks so there is incentive to put in more up-front costs.
It's not really new. Maybe 2 decades old?

I agree with the other posters, certainly possible to have per-room metering, but wildly unlikely unless you have some reason to think they do.

I'm not even sure my dorm had per-building monitoring (built in the 1950s?).

Planning on doing some crypto-mining?

poorbugger

Distinguished
I agree with the other posters, certainly possible to have per-room metering, but wildly unlikely unless you have some reason to think they do.

I'm not even sure my dorm had per-building monitoring (built in the 1950s?).

Planning on doing some crypto-mining?
Not at all. My dorm restrict having a fridge and i have mini fridge because cooking saves more money than eating outside. This is the power usage. 220-240V~50Hz; single phase. Is it a lot? I'm worried they might detect it. Paired it up with my electric cooker.

USAFRet

Titan
220-240v is not power usage.
That would be wattage.

The restrict full size fridges, because if EVERYONE had one, that WOULD suck up a lot of the total building power.

Additionally, YOU are not the #1 power consumer over the years. Somewhere along the years, someone else has used more on a daily basis.
Have you, or has anyone else, ever, been notified that their room is consuming too much?
No...

poorbugger

Distinguished
220-240v is not power usage.
That would be wattage.

The restrict full size fridges, because if EVERYONE had one, that WOULD suck up a lot of the total building power.

Additionally, YOU are not the #1 power consumer over the years. Somewhere along the years, someone else has used more on a daily basis.
Have you, or has anyone else, ever, been notified that their room is consuming too much?
No...
Honestly, no one has ever been caught but i'm just taking precautions because i saved up for the mini fridge to save me money in the long run. I used it for a whole semester without getting caught but that was because i used a laptop which consumes less power. Next semester, i'm bringing a pc to my dorm. Pcs and laptops are allowed but i'm just worried since pc+fridge+cooker will rise suspicion.

Having an electric cooker in the dorm may be a fire hazard, are those also not allowed?
This type of question is not really bad to ask since it is better to find out why something is not allowed for safety than just connecting things and causing a fire in the building.

Leave water on a hotplate running, run outside to play with some friends, next thing you know there are 8 deaths and the building is gone. Better read over the rules a bit, things can get more serious than just trying to hide a fridge if you are using cooking materials that is not allowed.

While they may not be able to tell what room has high electric draw a simple inspection of the rooms will show what is where.

USAFRet

Titan
Having an electric cooker in the dorm may be a fire hazard, are those also not allowed?
This type of question is not really bad to ask since it may be better to find out why something is not allowed for safety than just connecting things and causing a fire in the building. Leave water on a hotplate running, run outside to play with some friends, next thing you know there are 8 deaths and the building is gone.

Better read over the rules a bit, things can get more serious than just trying to hide a fridge if you are using cooking materials that is not allowed.
Or, in-room cooking, and the scrupulous cleaning habits of the typical college student.

"Hey, where did all these ants and roaches come from?"

TRENDING THREADS