[SOLVED] Monitoring homenetwork Internet usage

Dec 25, 2020
Hello,

3 months ago,i changed my Internet subscriprion and since then, my traffic doubled. Because of that, i am looking for a way(or a tool) that is able to fultime monitor my Internet traffic so i can see how much data i am downloading/using. I am using different devices, Windows/ Android/ Google Home. I am using my iSP' router/AP. I cannot change it to my own one.
Anyone who can advice me? Thank you

Solution
are you sure no ones stealing your wifi? check the connected devices in the router management, usually you would type 192.168.0.1 in a browser like firefox, login to your router, check the network tools and monitoring, change passwords, you can even limit things to give your specific devices access restricting anything without preset permission if thats a worry. TCPview is something iv used in the past to monitor my pc, make sure no programs have any connections i dont want, if you are thinking it might be your pc sending and receiving data you dont need it will identify where the leak is coming from, maybe, i dunno if there are better tools for checking but that would be my go to

USAFRet

Titan
Hello,

3 months ago,i changed my Internet subscriprion and since then, my traffic doubled. Because of that, i am looking for a way(or a tool) that is able to fultime monitor my Internet traffic so i can see how much data i am downloading/using. I am using different devices, Windows/ Android/ Google Home. I am using my iSP' router/AP. I cannot change it to my own one.
Anyone who can advice me? Thank you
The only way to monitor the whole house use is at the router, or something inline with the router.
Everything flows through that.

You can set up a pfsense or untangle box and put it in between your devices and your router (probably a double-nat scenario too), but these are very good for monitoring networks.

The other thing you can do is to simply disconnect a particular device for a day and see if there's a difference.

Dec 25, 2020
Many tanks for the reply. The router is the ISP router, so i should put somethimg before or between. But i dont know what. Thats why i asked the question here.

Dec 25, 2020
Ok, Untangle seems to be a paid service. And pfsense, dont know how to use it to log and monitor the amount of traffic that is going through my network.

Dec 25, 2020
Lets back up a few steps...

How did you determine your whole house usage went up?
And is this a $$ problem?

My isp has monitoring. I used to have a business, but due to covid i stopped. i had to change my business account into a home user account. More traffic isnt costing me extra money, but i am getting a lower speed. And that lower speed is giving me problems with work(frommhome) , Google Home devices,...

Obiwancanabi

Proper
Dec 24, 2020
are you sure no ones stealing your wifi? check the connected devices in the router management, usually you would type 192.168.0.1 in a browser like firefox, login to your router, check the network tools and monitoring, change passwords, you can even limit things to give your specific devices access restricting anything without preset permission if thats a worry. TCPview is something iv used in the past to monitor my pc, make sure no programs have any connections i dont want, if you are thinking it might be your pc sending and receiving data you dont need it will identify where the leak is coming from, maybe, i dunno if there are better tools for checking but that would be my go to

Solution