Monitoring SMART Hard Drives

What is the best freeware available to monitor the status of your hard drive
that has the SMART (Self-Monitoring, Analysis and Reporting Technology)
technology built into it? I know most new hard drives now have this
technology built into it and many people seem to think its a pretty good
system.

Thanks in advanced

--
To reply, remove: "No" and "Spam" from email address

Devang Devani wrote:

> What is the best freeware available to monitor the status of your hard drive
> that has the SMART (Self-Monitoring, Analysis and Reporting Technology)
> technology built into it? I know most new hard drives now have this
> technology built into it and many people seem to think its a pretty good
> system.

HDD Health and DTemp both seem to work pretty well.
But for the most detailed smart report, try smartmontools.
Run smartctl -a /dev/hda to check your first drive with smartmontools.

-WD

http://smartmontools.sf.net/

Bruce Allen wrote:

>>>What is the best freeware available to monitor the status of your hard drive
>>>that has the SMART (Self-Monitoring, Analysis and Reporting Technology)
>>>technology built into it? I know most new hard drives now have this
>>>technology built into it and many people seem to think its a pretty good
>>>system.
>>
>>HDD Health and DTemp both seem to work pretty well.
>>But for the most detailed smart report, try smartmontools.
>>Run smartctl -a /dev/hda to check your first drive with smartmontools.
>

> http://smartmontools.sf.net/

Ah yes, I guess I could have included links, for the Google-impaired. :)

-WD