Question Monitors (all of them) turn off and on whenever the computer wakes from sleep mode

locust lab

Distinguished
May 19, 2014
The system specs are

i9 12900kf, rtx 3090ti, 64 gb ddr5 ram, gigabyte gold 1000w psu,

the monitors are a 1080p 27 inch, a 165 hz 1440p 27" LG Ultragear 27GP83B, and a Artist 12 pro XPPen Drawing tablet (with screen) (but this is normally OFF at all times unless i am using it)

OK, so i just installed the LG Ultragear monitor, and now, when i start the computer from sleep mode, it turns off all the monitors, turns them back on, turns them off, and then back on, and then they stay on permanently until i shut the computer off. The monitors are fully seated, the computer is brand new from november, its a prebuilt but they built it to spec, so it was built in november. With the previous monitor, it did not do this, only with this new 1440p ultragear monitor does it do this. And like i said, it only does this when the computer first comes out of sleep mode, and then the monitors just stay on permanently. They never flicker at any other time. Only when its coming out of sleep mode. None of the lights flicker on the pc itself. I dont know if the drawing tablet also flickers, because its normally off.

I will say, i also have a Valve Index also plugged into the graphics card, I have no idea if this flickers when it comes out of sleep mode or not All in all, all four slots on my gpu have a monitor or peripheral attached. It has only started doing this with the new LG monitor. The monitor is brand new, 3 days old from best buy

the cpu is NOT overclocked. The gpu IS NOT overclocked. The ram is NOT overclocked.

Ralston18

Titan
Question regarding:

"four slots on my gpu have a monitor or peripheral attached." [My underline.]

What do you mean by peripheral?

= = = =

Were there any monitor specific drivers installed? Especially with regards to the new LG Ultragear monitor.

Do the following:

Absolutely disable all sleep mode options on the host system, monitors, etc..

Determine if the problem ends.

If so, then manually download, reinstall, and reconfigure the LG Ultragear monitor drivers again. No third party tools or installers.

Hopefullly a new driver download will resolve the problem.

If not, then the drivers may be buggy or conflicting with something else: Valve index?

= = = =

"Brand new" does not exclude faulty or defective devices from causing problems.

Consider that "brand new" could be the issue.

locust lab

Distinguished
May 19, 2014
Question regarding:

"four slots on my gpu have a monitor or peripheral attached." [My underline.]

What do you mean by peripheral?

= = = =

Were there any monitor specific drivers installed? Especially with regards to the new LG Ultragear monitor.

Do the following:

Absolutely disable all sleep mode options on the host system, monitors, etc..

Determine if the problem ends.

If so, then manually download, reinstall, and reconfigure the LG Ultragear monitor drivers again. No third party tools or installers.

Hopefullly a new driver download will resolve the problem.

If not, then the drivers may be buggy or conflicting with something else: Valve index?

= = = =

"Brand new" does not exclude faulty or defective devices from causing problems.

Consider that "brand new" could be the issue.
yeah, i mean peripheral such as a device that plugs into the graphics card (which would be the two monitors, the drawing tablet, and then the valve index)

no monitor specific drivers were installed, literally just plug and play. Like i said, it only occurs right as soon as its waking up from sleep mode, possibly it also happens when i start the computer up, but ill be honest here, i havent shut the computer completely off (other than a couple restarts for programs) and havent noticed it occur during any other time. It really only occurs as soon as it exits sleep mode (when i click the mouse to turn on the computer).

i have restarted the computer a couple of times yesterday, due to me changing some settings for my bluetooth, and i didnt notice it occur at that point in time. I really need the sleep mode because without it all the lights in the computer will stay on when im trying to sleep, but i dont want to shut the computer all the way off because i am a google chrome tab hoarder and dont want to lose my 100+ tabs that are open at all times

but now that i mention it, the bluetooth is also having problems (constant cutting in and out) to the point where i just completely stopped using bluetooth.

Ralston18

Titan
This:

", but i dont want to shut the computer all the way off because i am a google chrome tab hoarder and dont want to lose my 100+ tabs that are open at all times "

I am not a Chrome user (full disclosure) so cannot directly address issues with either the tabs per se or the number of open tabs.

However, I would expect that Chrome has the means to restore those tabs at the next boot.

Perhaps the following links will prove helpful:

https://www.freecodecamp.org/news/h...e-chrome-restore-your-last-session-and-pages/

https://www.mail.com/blog/posts/how-to-restore-tabs/124/

I noted quite a number of other similar links while researching Chrome and tab options.

= = = =

What is needed is some methodical troublehooting to determine the root cause of the monitor's on and off behavior.

For example: go without the drawing tablet for a day or so. First disable, then disconnect.

Do the same for valve and other perpherals. Likewise test bluetooth configurations.

Objective being to discover if any particular device or configuration of devices affects the monitor's behavior.

Key is to first get the monitors to work as expected.

My suggestion is to start by disconnecting everything. If the monitors return to "normal" then start to add back devices etc. one at a time (allowing time between each add back) while observing both the system and monitors.

If one particular device or combination of devices causes the monitors to start switching on an off again then you will know what/who is the culprit.

One last thought: although computer's can be left on and running for long periods of time they still need to be restarted to do some "housekeeping" (e.g., clean out temporary files) and finish updates/upgrades, etc..

Still before doing anything: look into "backing up" the open Chrome tabs and, while doing so, be sure you also back up the entire system. Or at least any important files on it. That should be routine anyway.

locust lab

Distinguished
May 19, 2014
This:

", but i dont want to shut the computer all the way off because i am a google chrome tab hoarder and dont want to lose my 100+ tabs that are open at all times "

I am not a Chrome user (full disclosure) so cannot directly address issues with either the tabs per se or the number of open tabs.

However, I would expect that Chrome has the means to restore those tabs at the next boot.

Perhaps the following links will prove helpful:

https://www.freecodecamp.org/news/h...e-chrome-restore-your-last-session-and-pages/

https://www.mail.com/blog/posts/how-to-restore-tabs/124/

I noted quite a number of other similar links while researching Chrome and tab options.

= = = =

What is needed is some methodical troublehooting to determine the root cause of the monitor's on and off behavior.

For example: go without the drawing tablet for a day or so. First disable, then disconnect.

Do the same for valve and other perpherals. Likewise test bluetooth configurations.

Objective being to discover if any particular device or configuration of devices affects the monitor's behavior.

Key is to first get the monitors to work as expected.

My suggestion is to start by disconnecting everything. If the monitors return to "normal" then start to add back devices etc. one at a time (allowing time between each add back) while observing both the system and monitors.

If one particular device or combination of devices causes the monitors to start switching on an off again then you will know what/who is the culprit.

One last thought: although computer's can be left on and running for long periods of time they still need to be restarted to do some "housekeeping" (e.g., clean out temporary files) and finish updates/upgrades, etc..

Still before doing anything: look into "backing up" the open Chrome tabs and, while doing so, be sure you also back up the entire system. Or at least any important files on it. That should be routine anyway.

OK, so i turned off the computer and disconnected everything

turning on the computer, nothing happened, even as i disconnencted and reconnected all the monitors and the like connected. It really only happens after sleep mode, and i dont know how to replicate that, because sleep mode only happens on a timer in windows 11, there is no option to just put the computer into sleep mode

as for the google chrome tabs,. Yes you can restore them, but ONLY if you havent opened any new tabs on your phone, otherwise, it will not allow you to open up your previous tabs on chrome, and its honestly really frustrating when that happens because i lose a buttload of work that takes time to complete.

i do restart my computer every once in a while, just to allow for updates and the like, and im having trouble nailing down this problem. The bluetooth problem seems to be the bluetooth connector in the computer is just dead, because ive tried installing drivers, reinstalling drivers, completely deleting drivers, restarting, removing bluetooth devices, etc, and no dice the bluetooth is still screwed

Ralston18

Titan
Try to learn more about the configured sleep mode.

To do that open the Command Prompt and type "powercfg /list" (without quotes).

The results should be similar to the following from my computer (copy and pasted).

PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> powercfg /list

Existing Power Schemes (* Active)
-----------------------------------
Power Scheme GUID: 381b4222-f694-41f0-9685-ff5bb260df2e (Balanced)
Power Scheme GUID: 49ef8fc0-bb7f-488e-b6a0-f1fc77ec649b (Dell)
Power Scheme GUID: 8c5e7fda-e8bf-4a96-9a85-a6e23a8c635c (High performance) *
Power Scheme GUID: a1841308-3541-4fab-bc81-f71556f20b4a (Power saver)
PS C:\WINDOWS\system32>

However you can delve into it all in more detail because "powercfg" has quite a number of available commands.

To see those commands type "powercfg /?"

For more information:

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-use-powercfg-control-power-settings-windows-10

(Just use the commands that report information. Do not attempt to immediately change or alter any settings via powercfg.)

And there are many similar links to be found.

The on and off monitor behavior suggests to me that there may be multiple sleep related configurations that conflict in some manner.

See what you can discover via powercfg.

The next step will be to look in Reliability History and Event Viewer. Either one or both tools may be capturing sleep mode related events be the events errors, warnings, or informational in nature.