Monitors at 144Hz

tom.marker

Prominent
Oct 26, 2017
I have an Asus MB H270M-plus/CSM with an EVGA GTX1060 GPU trying to run 2 Asus VG248 monitors at 144 Hz. The DVI-D runs fine and at 144HZ on one monitor. I have a 6ft StarTech DISPLPORT6L certified cable connected to the second monitor. It is certified to run at 144 Hz but when connected I get "no signal" I tried to get into the Menu of the monitor to see if the DP needed to be changed from 1.1-1.2 DP. However, the monitor menu will not come up. It does on the DVI-D connected monitor. This is needed for a medical condition that the 60 Hz refresh rate bothers the person.

Sedivy

Estimable
Are you sure the monitor works? If you connect it alone, without first monitor connected is there pic? If you connect it to something else, does it work?
If you set your refresh rate on the computer at 60Hz, does it work?

tom.marker

Prominent
Oct 26, 2017
The second monitor will work with a DVI-D cable at 144 Hz and has worked with a standard DP cable at 60 Hz. The monitor does not have an ability to select 1.1 or 1.2 display port. The GPU has been changed also, it exhibits the same issues. Now regardless of what type of DP cable I use it does not see the monitor.

Sedivy

Estimable
It does not matter if you switch the monitors? I mean both in terms of connectors on the gpu, and in terms of settings in display?
How are you setting up your dual display? In windows display settings? Nvidia control panel? (assuming it's an nvidia card).

tom.marker

Prominent
Oct 26, 2017

tom.marker

Prominent
Oct 26, 2017
Nvida control panel, W10 will not detect it. I have switched cables and monitors till I am blue in the face and my knees hurt. I do not need 144Hz, I am wondering if I set the one that works to something less like 100 Hz would the 2nd one be seen.

Sedivy

Estimable
You could try, so you at least know if it's dual monitors or the refresh rate that's tripping it up. The issue is usually due to display drivers. Sometimes it won't work unless it's the display drivers that windows updates through...well, windows update service. Sometimes it won't work unless it's nvidia's own drivers.

tom.marker

Prominent
Oct 26, 2017

tom.marker

Prominent
Oct 26, 2017
I used Geforce experience to update the drivers and the latest made it worse. I had to revert to the drivers that shipped with the card. The other issue is every change I make interrupts the person from doing their job. I may have to work on it after hours. This has been going on for over a week. I have contacts at EVGA and the cable manufacturers and nothing has helped. If I could see the 2nd monitor it would be one thing but once I install a cable that supports a higher refresh rate the monitor is not seen. We cannot run that monitor at 60 Hz it makes them sick and they cannot function. BTW our IT support has not been able to solve the problem. I am willing to change the GPU if I knew it would work. Something with 2 DVI-D ports might be a better solution as DP is certainly not working.

Sedivy

Estimable
Yeah it could be it's not liking display port but I think this would be more of a fault of the monitor than gpu. No chance at some sort of adapter for dp into dvi? Not sure how complicating would that be with dp versions but if you've got access to one, might be worth it to try.
Also...try lowering resolutions. Sometimes certain ports have issues with certain resolutions at certain refresh rates. Just try a lower, basic one to test if it's having issues with resolution vs display port.
This is all better done after hours. Constant interruptions are just going to frustrate them.

tom.marker

Prominent
Oct 26, 2017