[SOLVED] Monitors auto adjust keeps ruining display

trendex

Prominent
Dec 28, 2018
So I got this epic HP Compaq LA2205wg monitor (16:10 / 1680x1050) and it's been serving me well, but I ran into a problem I can't quite get rid of. The auto-adjust of the monitor is kind of broken and it sometimes throws the display off-screen and I can't see the taskbar but that's usually fixed by a couple restarts and messing around with settings. Yesterday I launched a new game, which somehow forced the monitor into 1920x1080 resolution and it was hard enough to get the game itself to fit my monitor but after I closed the game the screen was left messed up. In the Windows display settings everything is in order, proper resolution selected and it still looked like it was in 1920x1080 and my monitor kept yelling at me for not setting it back. Then with the nVidia screen controls I managed to put it back properly but now it doesnt align with the monitor, I can't see like a good 1,5 cm-s of my screen. I tried every setting there is, reinstalled every driver re-fitted my GPU, swapped cables, and the closest I came to fixing it was setting the refresh rate from 60Hz to 59 then 58. It didnt really do anything on 59 but it was perfect on 58, then my monitor decided it wasn't happy with it and auto-adjusted back to square one. I'm bummed.

PS. I'm not sure how much my specs have to do with this but I'll drop them here// i5-2500S, 8GB DDR3, GTX 1060 6GB//.

Solution
This:

"The auto-adjust of the monitor is kind of broken ...."

How old is the monitor? According to my online research the manufacturer's product EOL (End of Life) date is 3/31/2014.

Reference:

https://www.publicsector.shidirect....ystemID=ShiCommodity&ProductIdentity=21218587

I also found EOL instructions for disassembly and recycling.

Basically the monitor is likely on the downhill slope to complete failure and it is very unlikely that any configuration changes to the monitor or the host computer will make any difference.

I just had a printer give up the proverbial ghost despite being well cared for and maintained. Planned obsolescence....

I managed to tweak out a few extra weeks but...

Ralston18

Titan
This:

How old is the monitor? According to my online research the manufacturer's product EOL (End of Life) date is 3/31/2014.

Reference:

https://www.publicsector.shidirect....ystemID=ShiCommodity&ProductIdentity=21218587

Basically the monitor is likely on the downhill slope to complete failure and it is very unlikely that any configuration changes to the monitor or the host computer will make any difference.

I just had a printer give up the proverbial ghost despite being well cared for and maintained. Planned obsolescence....

I managed to tweak out a few extra weeks but time came.....

My recommendation is to start looking for another monitor. Doubt that you will be able to salvage much more out of the HP LA2205.

Reactions: trendex
Solution

trendex

Prominent
Dec 28, 2018
This:

Reference:

I managed to tweak out a few extra weeks but time came.....

My recommendation is to start looking for another monitor. Doubt that you will be able to salvage much more out of the HP LA2205.

Yeah, I do want to get a new one real soon, I just wanted to ask if anyone has any idea so I could use it for a bit longer until I get the new one, but I guess I'll have to hurry up with it. Thanks anyways!