Monitors: Dell 1703FP Ultrasharp vs. Samsung 173TP ?

I'm ready to buy a Dimension 8300. Currently the Samsung 17" 173TP LCD
monitor is on sale for about $259 less than the 17" Dell Ultrasharp, a price
that I'm finding hard to pass up, i.e. using that money to buy more processor,
memory, etc. The specs on the Samsung would lead one to believe it is a
decent LCD monitor.

Can anybody who has the Samsung monitor or has firsthand knowledge of it,
comment on its picture quality vs. the Dell? It doesn't have to be as good as
the Dell monitor, but I want to make sure I'm not getting an inferior monitor.
BTW, I will be using this PC for web browsing, typical office apps and some
digital video transfer to DVD.

Thanks for your help !

Doesn't Samsung MAKE the Dell 17" LCD?

Anyway, I don't have a 173TP, but do have a very old Samsung 170MP and it's
STILL an outstanding LCD. Samsungs are the best!

Tom
"John C" <johncz@comcast.net> wrote in message
> I'm ready to buy a Dimension 8300. Currently the Samsung 17" 173TP LCD
> monitor is on sale for about $259 less than the 17" Dell Ultrasharp, a
price
> that I'm finding hard to pass up, i.e. using that money to buy more
processor,
> memory, etc. The specs on the Samsung would lead one to believe it is a
> decent LCD monitor.
>
> Can anybody who has the Samsung monitor or has firsthand knowledge of it,
> comment on its picture quality vs. the Dell? It doesn't have to be as
good as
> the Dell monitor, but I want to make sure I'm not getting an inferior
monitor.
> BTW, I will be using this PC for web browsing, typical office apps and
some
> digital video transfer to DVD.
>
> Thanks for your help !

Tom, who makes the Dell 2001FP?

Brian

> Doesn't Samsung MAKE the Dell 17" LCD?
>
> Anyway, I don't have a 173TP, but do have a very old Samsung 170MP and
it's
> STILL an outstanding LCD. Samsungs are the best!
>
> Tom

I don't know. I 'think' it is Lucky Goldstar.

Tom

>I don't know. I 'think' it is Lucky Goldstar.
>
> Tom

<snip>

Tom,

Last I read (12-18 mos ago) was that Samsung had a contract for all Dell
monitors. That's been awhile back, however.

Stew

LG definately makes some now.