[SOLVED] Monitor's DisplayPort Stopped Working Properly

Jun 1, 2020
While it was fine earlier today, the DisplayPort plug had stopped working on my first monitor as my computer went into standby mode. I wiggled the mouse to turn it back on and... nothing. "No Signal" comes on a few times and then black screen. The "No Signal" part is a little interesting because it seems like it's getting something out of the cable.

I did a few diagnostics to figure out that it's specifically the monitor's female DisplayPort port that's at fault:
  • Swapped around the cables on my monitors, second monitor detects it fine.
  • Did the same on the graphics card, same results.
  • Rearranged the displays in the display settings, yet again the same results.
  • Final test, I plugged my Nintendo Switch's HDMI port into the monitor, and it worked fine.
It really just seems like the DisplayPort socket on the monitor has messed up somehow.

Further inspection indicates that the monitor is registered, but just isn't displaying anything. The cursor and various tabs can enter the blank monitor and I can click on and interact with things within it, despite the lack of vision. And yes, the monitor is on.

So I'm drawing a blank. Anyone know what the deal is here? My graphics card only has DisplayPort slots on it and I would really rather not get a new monitor, but if it ends up being the case I'll just have to deal with it.

Solution
Hopefully your monitor port is not busted. Lets try a few things to eliminate that or to come to conclusion it is in fact the physical monitor port itself. You may not agree with my steps but Im just trying to troubleshoot instead of telling you its dead blah blah. Run DDU Display Driver Uninstaller and do a clean and restart then see if it comes up upon boot from safe mode. You can connect a different monitor so you can see. After its in normal mode install the latest graphics drivers then connect the suspect monitor. Let me know what happens. ;)

Turtle Rig

Prominent
BANNED
Jun 23, 2020
Hopefully your monitor port is not busted. Lets try a few things to eliminate that or to come to conclusion it is in fact the physical monitor port itself. You may not agree with my steps but Im just trying to troubleshoot instead of telling you its dead blah blah. Run DDU Display Driver Uninstaller and do a clean and restart then see if it comes up upon boot from safe mode. You can connect a different monitor so you can see. After its in normal mode install the latest graphics drivers then connect the suspect monitor. Let me know what happens. ;)

Solution
Jun 1, 2020
I have followed your steps, and I'm afraid it hasn't done much. Still the same "No Signal" stuff. It's so strange because even Speccy knows that the monitor is there. I'm really not sure why it would mess up in this specific way.
Still open to literally any ideas on fixing this. Aside from somehow cracking open the monitor and cramming in a new plug.

Turtle Rig

Prominent
BANNED
Jun 23, 2020
I have followed your steps, and I'm afraid it hasn't done much. Still the same "No Signal" stuff. It's so strange because even Speccy knows that the monitor is there. I'm really not sure why it would mess up in this specific way.
Still open to literally any ideas on fixing this. Aside from somehow cracking open the monitor and cramming in a new plug.
Ouch we tried. So the issue is not software related it is def hardware related. It is very rare for a monitors port to go bad but it looks like that is what has happened and if changing cables doesn't fix it then ya the monitor port is botched. Does your monitor have a HDMI port ? For the time being you can use HDMI 2.0 if you have a cable that is hdmi 2.0 and you should be good and things should be dandy for the time being.

Last edited:

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador

Ports can burn out or just stop working it happens. I've had ports on video cards burn out and the rest of them keep working.