Question Monitors flash black for a few seconds randomly

Dec 12, 2019
First I want to start by saying I am pretty new to any kind of pc building, I know just enough to assemble my pc and pick my way through basic setup. There is a good chance that there is something I am missing or didn't know I need to do.

I have a PC that I built maybe 2 or 3 years ago. I originally built it without any graphics card so I recently decided to add a graphics card to the system. I decided to go with a Geforce GTX1050ti after some research. I am not gaming much but I do run 2 monitors and do some video editing. I can give the rest of my pc specs if needed as well, I have CPUID and can give whatever specs it reads.

Problem has recently started where both monitors will flash black for a few seconds, then come back on. If I have a video playing the audio never stops and works perfectly the entire time. If I am using both monitors everything on the second monitor will be moved over to the main monitor when they turn back on. I never had this issue before installing the graphics card. I have tried to uninstall the display drivers for the graphics card, and checked to be sure the card is seating correctly in the motherboard. I have been reading about similar issues but can't seem to solve my problem. Everything seemed to work fine for a month or 2 after installing the graphics card. The flash happens very randomly, sometimes will happen every couple minutes, sometimes will not happen at all or just once. I ran a test with Cinebench and the flash did not occur during the test. Normally I am just watching youtube or browsing the internet when the flash happens, so not anything really loading the computer.

I also just found out tonight that my wife has the exact same issue on her work computer as well, so now I'm not sure if it has anything to do with my graphics card. I currently am trying it with one monitor hooked up to the motherboard and one hooked up to the graphics card to see what happens. Any help would be greatly appreciated, everything I have read either did not work or I simply didn't understand what some people were talking about.

Dec 12, 2019
Update the monitors still both flash at the smae time and everything moves to the main monitor with one monitor plugged into the motherboard and the other plugged into the gpu.