Question Monitors go black/GPU loses connection with motherboard very easily

Jul 17, 2022
I've been having this issue where if the PC jostles to much (e.g. when i hit my desk) or sometimes randomly, the GPU's connection is interrupted and the monitors go black. This can tend to happen very easily. I can still hear audio from the computer in these cases so i know its from the GPU. In order to fix it, I have had to reseat the GPU by using a screwdriver to unclick the clasp on the port, then push it back in. Sometimes this doesn't even work, it can take a few tries of jostling it around and turning the computer back on.
I'm trying to figure out if i need a new GPU, or motherboard.

How can i diagnose this?

Specs:
Gigabyte AMD Radeon RX 5500XT GPU 4gb
Asus ROG STRIX B450-I Motherboard
AMD Ryzen 5 5600X (just upgraded from Ryzen 5 2600, issue was happening before then though)

Side note; my computer is a small-form-factor build, so taking things out of my computer is a hassle (basically, i only want to gut it if i have to)

Basil

Honorable
Dec 11, 2016
Image of motherboard

So when you hit your desk, the GPU unseats? Normally this shouldn't happen thanks to the security latch, as you are probably aware. But I suppose it's worth asking: is the latch fully locked, and when you click in your GPU, do you hear a click? (This isn't always the case.)

Also, when your GPU unseats, is this latch still locked or is it open?