[SOLVED] Monitors go black when alt tabbing

BlasphemousMusic

Distinguished
May 21, 2009
I got a new monitor about 3 months ago and things were going ok. So im playing full screen game on my left monitor, the main and watching movies or spotify on the right. Some times when i alt tab to the other screen, the main left monitor goes black, the right is frozen for a min then the right monitor goes all black with rainbow type artifacts. I can hear my device sounds unplug. 95% of the time i have to hard reset. On a rare occasion the left monitor will come back and right is done.

Now here is the thing, my wifes pc is doing the EXACT same thing! So, i figured it might be me and my monitor or settings or something. We did do a monitor swap. I bought a new one, gave her my older one but neither of us ever had this issue. Cords are new or newer, event viewer shows nothing. Graphics cards fully updated, windows updated. Where do I start?

I did a heat test, cleaned it out but it doesnt seem heat related. It seems hardware or software related. Please help!

Solution
Windows is for crap when it comes to supporting multi monitor configurations, and pretty much always has been.

I'd try this, and see if it makes any difference before trying to chase down any ghosts in the machine. There are both free and paid versions and the free version works fine for my three 32' 1440p 144hz LG panels, and for all other systems that I've worked on with multiple display configurations.

Windows is for crap when it comes to supporting multi monitor configurations, and pretty much always has been.

I'd try this, and see if it makes any difference before trying to chase down any ghosts in the machine. There are both free and paid versions and the free version works fine for my three 32' 1440p 144hz LG panels, and for all other systems that I've worked on with multiple display configurations.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS