Question Monitors Go White While Playing Games

Nilthandrik

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2014
While playing games the monitors will go white and require the computer to be restarted to fix. I have tried a number of different games, some will not cause it while others will run for a while before it happens and some will crash upon Launch. If I lower a games settings enough it doesn't seem to happen or at least not for a while. It seems to only occur in games as I have run various GPU Benchmark programs with no issues (3D Mark, FurMark, Superposition).

Beat Saber - No Crash
Battlefield 1 - Runs for about 30min
Project Cars - Crash on race start
Sairento VR - Crash on Launch
Star Trek Online - Crash after 10min (Runs fine if settings a lowered)

I used to run games on max (or near max) settings with no issues at all.

I've had this computer for a little over 3 years now but it only started to do this recently.

I've tried reinstalling the GPU drivers, re-seating the GPU. The temps are the same as they've always been.

GPU temps are 39C at idle and 62C under load.

Windows 10
CPU - Intel Core i7-6700K
Motherboard - Asus Maximus VIII Hero
Memory - G Skill RipjawsV F4-3000C15-8GVR (x4)
Video Adapter - GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 980Ti 6GB G1 Gaming OC Edition
Disk Drive - Samsung SSD 960 EVO 500GB (500 GB, PCI-E 3.0 x4)
Disk Drive - Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB (500 GB, SATA-III)
Disk Drive - Samsung SSD 860 EVO 2TB (2000 GB, SATA-III)
Disk Drive - WDC WD4003FZEX-00Z4SA0 (4 TB, 7200 RPM, SATA-III)
PSU - Corsair AXi Series AX860i Digital 860W 80 PLUS PLATINUM

I read in another post that It might be caused by a bad PSU so I took screenshots of the voltages in HWiNFO
Idle Voltage
Load Voltage

If any more info is required please let me know. I would very much appreciate any assistance offered.

Ralston18

Titan
Look in Reliability History/Manager and Event Viewer for error codes and warnings.

Plus, I am a bit skeptical about how three SSD's and one large HDD might work together in one given system.

No conclusions per se. Do some testing without the HDD and the larger 2 TB SSD.

And by "without" I mean remove or at least unplug power and data.

Do some methodical, controlled troubleshooting. Key is to narrow down and identify the circumstances that lead to the "white" monitors and crashes.

Additional thought: 3 year old system - has it been opened, cleaned, had the various connections and cards all checked to ensure that they are fully and firmly in place?

PSU is certainly a suspect but more information will be helpful.

Nilthandrik

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2014
Computer is opened and cleaned and checked every few months...It was also cleaned and checked when this started happening.
Checked Reliability History and Event Viewer after a crash and Reliability History was blank for the day and Event Viewer only mentioned a reboot without cleanly shutting down.

Did a test with the drives removed, no change. Still crashed as before.
Why do you think 3 ssd's and hdd would be bad?

I tried lowering the resolution in games but that doesn't affect it, however the render resolution in SteamVR does in some games.
Other programs such as chrome running doesn't seem to affect it. I tried closing everything then running a game...same result.
One thing I did notice and this is the first I've seen it. I ran a SteamVR game but was not wearing the HMD so I could watch monitors. I noticed thin black lines flicker for a split second, but it only happened once.

I don't have any extra hardware to switch parts and test that way but I can try a figure out what settings in a game might cause it to crash sooner.

Any other tests I could try?