Question Monitors going "blank" when Windows 10 login screen appears.

CorpRebel

Reputable
Jul 20, 2020
I am using 2 Dell ST2310 23" Monitors that I am using for the somewhat newer (for me) Skylake PC I built back in September, 2020 that replaced my Dell XPS 8100 (i5-650) that I bought in 2010.

They had been working fine until about a week before this past Christmas. It started taking multiple reboots (12-15 times) for the monitors to stay on so I could logon to Windows 10.

The screen kept going blank after getting to Win10 login screen, but when I turned the monitors off and then back on, I saw that I could see the login screen for a couple seconds and then it went blank. I switched the cables (HDMI) and they still kept doing the same thing. MULTIPLE reboots to get where I could actually see the Win10 login page and login. Then the PC proceeds to work fine until I go to turn on the PC the next morning. The same annoying routine happens.

So, I then went to try one of the monitors by itself to see if it was the monitor acting up. The "#2" monitor hooked up by itself was causing the same things to happen. The "#1" monitor hooked up and the PC booted properly with no issues.

So, I figured, okay, that monitor is the issue. So I have been using just the other monitor with no issues until earlier this past week. Now this one is starting to do the same thing... multiple reboots to get to login screen.

So I guess I'm probably looking for a couple new monitors. But, a question I have for you experts here is.... Any idea what could be causing this this issue? What would cause it to just blank out after booting up? Or is the Win10 updates maybe affecting it?

Or is it just an old (12 yrs) monitor ready to be put out to pasture? They were great for my usage case.

My PC Build...

Case: Corsair Carbide 200R Compact ATX Mid Case - Black
PSU: Corsair CX750M 750 Watt Semi-Modular ATX PSU
Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-B250-HD3 LGA 1151 Intel B250 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1 ATX
CPU: Intel Core I5-6600 FC-LGA14C 3.30 Ghz 6 M Processor Cache 4 LGA 1151
Ram:Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (2x16GB) 2133MHz C13 DDR4 DRAM Memory Kit – Black
SSD: Samsung (MZ-V7S1T0B/AM) 970 EVO Plus SSD 1TB - M.2 NVMe
HDD: Seagate BarraCuda 4TB Internal Hard Drive HDD

GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1650 OC 4G Graphics Card

CorpRebel

Reputable
Jul 20, 2020
https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html
Run this to uninstall display drivers in safe mode.

Then reinstall latest Nvidia drivers.

If that doesn't work, what happens if you remove the 1650 and try iGPU?

Thanks for the response!

1 - I did reinstall the drivers I already had BUT, in a fit of a "brain fart", I didn't go to nvidia site and DL the "latest drivers". DOH! And THAT seems to have done the trick, so far. And the other monitor works now also! YAY!

2 - That DDU utility is nice. Thx for heads up on that one.

3 - I didn't even think about trying the iGPU by itself. I was really batting 0.00 on this one, it looks like! LOL

Thanks again for the assist!

CorpRebel

Reputable
Jul 20, 2020
The issue is STILL existing...

First off, I found that my monitors are fine. To check them out, I put them both back on my old XPS 8100 and both monitors come on fine after PC shutdown and turn back on... NO issues.

I updated the nVidia drivers for the GTX 1650 and the recent Win10 update was installed and the issue still remains. I had a friend bring over 2 of his newer monitors to also check this and they are doing the same thing.

One thing I now noticed today was that after switching the HDMI cables between MY 2 monitors and getting both monitors running okay, when I "restart" the PC, both monitors come on just fine.

BUT... when I "shut down" (instead of restart) the PC, the 2 monitors WON'T stay on until I restart several times and I switch the cables between the 2 monitors and then they stay on.

NOW... IF I only use ONE monitor (doesn't matter which one), there is NO issue. WEIRDNESS!!

This is sounding more like software issue of some kind, but not sure where to proceed next.