Monitors leave weird dragging colours

Status
Not open for further replies.

Korezq

Reputable
Mar 19, 2014
Any advice on how to fix weird drag when moving anything on screen? For example, the cursor leaves whiteish trails, especially on white surfaces like google chrome default page. This occurs on desktop too, everywhere but in games. Are my monitors faulty or is it the GPU?

GPU is palit gtx 560 Ti 2gb
RAM is 8gb 1600mhz
PSU is 650W Cooler Master
Mobo is Asus P8P67 Pro
Dual monitors @ 1920x1080, both 60hz, monitor 1 = Samsun S24B350, monitor 2 = Asus ve247h
CPU is i5-2500 @ 3.3ghz
2 Tb WD HDD and 250gb Samsung SSD

I recently installed the Samsung 250gb SSD and installed win7 ultimate x64 on it and I noticed the drag only after this instance. I just cant relate the monitor problem to be a win7 problem! Any ideas?

Here is a picture of my cursor on the Asus monitor. The effect on Samsung monitor is just a little bit less persistent. That white image left behind applies to anything moved on the monitor.
flup.jpg

Kari

Splendid
it seems to be typicall artifacting from too agressive lcd overdrive, the pixel overshoots its transition from black to 'white'. Why it would start to happening after win reinstall i'm not sure...
You could go through the OSD settings of each monitor to see if you can adjust the overdrive mechanism, there usually are at least couple different levels available and the option to turn it completely off. Though you don't want to do turn it off since pixel overdrive is the tech behind fast response times (2ms monitor with overdrive off is more like 16ms one).

I'm not too familiar with recent nvidia drivers but there might a lcd overdrive setting in the nvidia control panel as well, at least amd drivers have it.

edit and just to make things more difficult, monitor makers like to name their overdrive tech with fancy names, I believe Asus calls theirs 'Trace Free', don't know about Samsung.

Korezq

Reputable
Mar 19, 2014
Good point with the overdrive. Googled a more and i think it might be inverse ghosting to be exact, caused by the overdrive. I do have an OSD control on my asus monitor, but that changes nothing. I will now unplug the GPU and boot with the internals only, see if it is the years old GPU blowing up soon..

Korezq

Reputable
Mar 19, 2014
Booted with internals, no difference back with the GPU in place. Still looking for an exact reason to why this problem started after the windows installation.

Status
Not open for further replies.