[SOLVED] Monitors lose HDMI signal for a few seconds. (Display port to HDMI cable)

Oct 30, 2019
I recently purchased a pre-built computer with a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 Ti graphics card. I am using 2 ASUS VS248H monitors set to 1920 x 1080, 1080p native. They are connected via Displayport to HDMI cables.

When viewing a site like Amazon Prime Video or Netflix or Spotify, the monitors will lose signal and go black for a few seconds, then return. This happens when closing a tab or switching to a different video. I've tested this on both Chrome and Firefox and the results are the same.

I've run tests on my CPU, GPU, and Powersupply without any errors (Used OCCT).

I have a feeling my monitors are just old, but not sure that is the case and don't want to buy new ones before I am sure that is the issue. Can anyone help?

Video of the issue:
View: https://youtu.be/2wf36GI6hnQ

In the video I just switch from Season 1 to Season 2 of Jack Ryan and it goes out. Then I open up Spotify and it goes black. Then I close Spotify and it goes black.

Solution
I've just posted today something similar to this and I think the issue is related to the DRM encryptions passing through the HDCP protocols on the HDMI cables. The handshakes are not being done properly. In my case, it goes black indefinately until I turn it off and on again or do a graphics drivers reset via keyboard combo. The difference between my setup is my monitor is HDMI to HDMI. I ordered an Mini DP to HDMI cable to see if that will resolve the problem but looking at your post, it might not entirely.

spolo85

Reputable
Oct 7, 2016
I've just posted today something similar to this and I think the issue is related to the DRM encryptions passing through the HDCP protocols on the HDMI cables. The handshakes are not being done properly. In my case, it goes black indefinately until I turn it off and on again or do a graphics drivers reset via keyboard combo. The difference between my setup is my monitor is HDMI to HDMI. I ordered an Mini DP to HDMI cable to see if that will resolve the problem but looking at your post, it might not entirely.

Solution