Question monitors lose signal randomly

Jun 5, 2022
As the title suggests, my monitors lose signal at very random times (the only way to turn them back on again is through restarting my PC). This could be while playing games, or while watching youtube. One important thing to note is that whilst the monitors do lose signal, my keyboard and mouse lights remain on, and I can still hear the audio that was playing just before it black screened. I am also able to use my mic as my friends can hear me too.

What I have found is that by manually changing the fan speed to 70% in MSI afterburner I can somewhat solve this issue, where it no longer happens as frequently. I have also set a custom fan curve, but this does not have any impact as it still crashes. Just before the monitors lose signal the temps remain around 30 c

Specs:
GPU: MSI Radeon Vega 56
CPU: Ryzen 5 2600
Mobo: MSI b450-a pro
PSU: EVGA 700w BR
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB 3000MHz

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

How old is the PSU in your build? What BIOS version are you on for your motherboard? If you're on Windows 10, what version(not edition) of the OS are you on? When your display cuts out, do you eventually have the system reboot on it's own? You might want to try reinstalling your GPU drivers, after ridding it with DDU, then manually installing the latest drivers in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator.

Jun 5, 2022
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

How old is the PSU in your build? What BIOS version are you on for your motherboard? If you're on Windows 10, what version(not edition) of the OS are you on? When your display cuts out, do you eventually have the system reboot on it's own? You might want to try reinstalling your GPU drivers, after ridding it with DDU, then manually installing the latest drivers in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator.

My PSU is roughly 2 years old. As for the bios and windows version:

Windows 10 Version 10.0.19044 Build 1904
BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. A.C0, 08/11/2019

Also, I have tried reinstalling my drivers multiple times and running them as admin, but to no avail.

KananX

Prominent
BANNED
Apr 11, 2022
I wanna add: could be just a overheating problem as well. Maybe repaste the GPU and problem will be solved, but be extra cautious with a Vega 56. Also see that airflow in your PC is really good.

Jun 5, 2022
I wanna add: could be just a overheating problem as well. Maybe repaste the GPU and problem will be solved, but be extra cautious with a Vega 56. Also see that airflow in your PC is really good.

I thought this too, but when I look at my temps in MSI Afterburner they seem to be relatively low (30c). Is there any possibility that these temps are not 100% accurate?

KananX

Prominent
BANNED
Apr 11, 2022
I thought this too, but when I look at my temps in MSI Afterburner they seem to be relatively low (30c). Is there any possibility that these temps are not 100% accurate?
Shouldn’t be the case, it sure sounds like at this point, like the GPU is going bad. Are temps low in gaming as well? Check after a game sesh

Jun 5, 2022
Shouldn’t be the case, it sure sounds like at this point, like the GPU is going bad. Are temps low in gaming as well? Check after a game sesh

Yup. When playing games like league they are around 20c - 35c, although they have occasionally gone higher

Jun 8, 2022
One important thing to note is that whilst the monitors do lose signal, my keyboard and mouse lights remain on, and I can still hear the audio that was playing just before it black screened. I am also able to use my mic as my friends can hear me too.
have u ever wait until it crash? i mean trying moving your mouse or mashing button to see it still work. sometime GPU with broken/faulty power controller will do that.

Jun 5, 2022
I have tried a few things in the time that this thread has been inactive:

- I have tried cleaning my PC, removing all the dust around the GPU, and removing and deep cleaning my CPU cooler. Cleaning the PC provided somewhat of a temporary relief in which it resolved the issue for about 2 days before returning to the problem again

- I have updated the drivers to the latest version

- As per another comment, I have tried a different game that is more intensive than league of legends and the problem still occurs

I frequently see threads about my GPU (MSI VEGA 56 AIR BOOST) online elsewhere and I have noted that other people have this card, yet I can never seem to find a solution that works.

If anyone could help it would be much appreciated.