[SOLVED] Monitors Losing Signal

Feb 1, 2020
Hi,

I started running into an issue with both of my monitors losing signal at the same time. This was coupled with all of my fans running at 100% before I had to hard reset the computer.

I have posted my specs below as well as some of the steps I have taken to troubleshoot.
MOBO: GIGABYTE G1 Gaming GA-B85M-Gaming 3 (rev. 1.0) LGA 1150 Intel B85 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard
Processor: Intel Xeon Processor E3-1231V3B 3.4 4 LGA 1150 (BX80646E31231V3)
Graphics Card: PNY GTX1070Ti
RAM: G.SKILL RipjawsX Series F3-1600C9S-8GXM 8GB (1 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory
HD: Samsung 850 EVO 1TB 2.5-Inch SATA III Internal SSD (MZ-75E1T0B/AM)
Power Supply: SeaSonic M12II 520 Bronze EVO Edition 520W ATX12V v2.3 / EPS 12V v2.91 SLI 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Full Modular Active PFC Power Supply

My initial thought was that the GPU was overheating and shutting down. I did a deep clean of the whole system, reinstalled thermal paste in the CPU, and reseated the GPU. No luck.

I monitored temps with HWMonitor but didn't see anything unusual.

My next step was to pull out the 1070Ti and install my old 970 to see if the issue persisted. I went a week without any issues but last night both of my monitors lost signal but the fans did not run at 100% this time.

Based off this test I don't believe that both GPUs could be faulty, nor do I believe that it is the monitors.

My thought is that it could be a faulty motherboard or PSU but I'm not sure what steps to take to troubleshoot that before moving forward. If you need any additional information please let me know. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Solution
One final update because I think I resolved this issue at least for now and wanted to provide it to anyone else out there that may be having the same issue. I went back and unplugged all the cables to the PSU and noticed a decent amount of dust had gotten in there. After clearing out the dust and replugging the cables I have not had the issue return. I hope this helps someone else out in the future.
Feb 1, 2020
Update - I tested out running a single monitor and did not experience any signal losses.
Monitors are:
Acer H23HL in the HDMI port
Predator XB271HU in the DisplayPort port

Edit: one more update. Ran DDU to confirm that this was not a driver issue for the 970 (current GPU in the computer)

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2020
Hi,

I started running into an issue with both of my monitors losing signal at the same time. This was coupled with all of my fans running at 100% before I had to hard reset the computer.

I have posted my specs below as well as some of the steps I have taken to troubleshoot.
MOBO: GIGABYTE G1 Gaming GA-B85M-Gaming 3 (rev. 1.0) LGA 1150 Intel B85 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard
Processor: Intel Xeon Processor E3-1231V3B 3.4 4 LGA 1150 (BX80646E31231V3)
Graphics Card: PNY GTX1070Ti
RAM: G.SKILL RipjawsX Series F3-1600C9S-8GXM 8GB (1 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory
HD: Samsung 850 EVO 1TB 2.5-Inch SATA III Internal SSD (MZ-75E1T0B/AM)
Power Supply: SeaSonic M12II 520 Bronze EVO Edition 520W ATX12V v2.3 / EPS 12V v2.91 SLI 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Full Modular Active PFC Power Supply

My initial thought was that the GPU was overheating and shutting down. I did a deep clean of the whole system, reinstalled thermal paste in the CPU, and reseated the GPU. No luck.

I monitored temps with HWMonitor but didn't see anything unusual.

My next step was to pull out the 1070Ti and install my old 970 to see if the issue persisted. I went a week without any issues but last night both of my monitors lost signal but the fans did not run at 100% this time.

Based off this test I don't believe that both GPUs could be faulty, nor do I believe that it is the monitors.

My thought is that it could be a faulty motherboard or PSU but I'm not sure what steps to take to troubleshoot that before moving forward. If you need any additional information please let me know. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
I would change to a higher wattage power supply. Graphics cards can be hungry for power. Have you upgraded any part of your pc lately.

Feb 1, 2020
I would change to a higher wattage power supply. Graphics cards can be hungry for power. Have you upgraded any part of your pc lately.

Thanks for the reply. Do you have any recommendations for a new PSU? The only upgrades I have made were the 1070Ti and the Predator monitor which were installed a little over a year ago.

Feb 1, 2020
One final update because I think I resolved this issue at least for now and wanted to provide it to anyone else out there that may be having the same issue. I went back and unplugged all the cables to the PSU and noticed a decent amount of dust had gotten in there. After clearing out the dust and replugging the cables I have not had the issue return. I hope this helps someone else out in the future.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS