Question Monitors not displaying properly after bios update.

• Thread starter Deleted member 2849646
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 2849646

Hi,

my monitor has been playing up and it’s a software glitch somewhere. I had two installs of windows on my dell optiplex 3040 on two separate drives. However when i updatedthe dell bios this morning (released by dell on 27th aug 2021) when i boot into windows my left monitor is now not properly detected. So reinstalled the windows on both drives multiple times and get the same error.
So my conclusion is that it was the bios that caused it.

my question is, anyone else had anything like this happen and if so, how did you fix it. Setup is: pc to monitor on left then monitor on left daisychained to monitor on right. Monitor on right (end monitor) has 1080p resolution? But the monitor between the monitor and pc in the chain is getting a paltry 640p!

any advice on a fix greatly appreciated.

after bios downgrade i am now trying yet another fresh windows install!

Lutfij

Titan
I had two installs of windows on my dell optiplex 3040 on two separate drives.
Why do you need two install of one OS? It's hard as it is to maintain one installation of Windows 10, you have two? Dual booting with two different Windows OSes?

Make and models of your monitors? Please don't downgrade BIOS versions since they often lead to a bricked system. On that regards, which BIOS version were you on prior to the update?

Further reading here.

D

Deleted member 2849646

I had two installs of windows on my dell optiplex 3040 on two separate drives.
Why do you need two install of one OS? It's hard as it is to maintain one installation of Windows 10, you have two? Dual booting with two different Windows OSes?

Make and models of your monitors? Please don't downgrade BIOS versions since they often lead to a bricked system. On that regards, which BIOS version were you on prior to the update?

Further reading here.

monitors dell 2414H x2.

bios successfully downgraded from 1.16.1 to 1.14.2. Doesn’t seem to have helped! There is a later bios I missed 1.15.2. Not decided if I will upgrade to it.

edit: i disconnected the right hand side monitor and the left screen was still giant. I thought it would reset but it wouldn’t i then turned off/disabled displayport 1.2 and the resolution came back to the monitor! How strange! Sounds like the software on the bios/OS doesn’t like the displayport 1.2. Was working fine yesterday. Thoughts on a possible fix?

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 2849646

Ok so you all are not going to believe this. I did this and it worked:

Can’t believe something so simple worked. Does anyone know why this worked?