[SOLVED] Monitors not working after plugging in ethernet cable

Mar 5, 2022
So I plugged in an ethernet cable because I wanted to get some more download speed for something I was downloading, but once I plugged it in my screen went black after about 15 seconds. I tried restarting several times, cleaning my RAM (read it might help), and also plugged in another monitor. I tried starting up my BIOS as well but that doesn't seem to work.. I even switched plugging in both monitors from the GPU slot to the motherboard slot, but that doesn't seem to help either. So I assume it's not because of my GPU. Does anyone have any experience with this problem? I'm finding it quite bizarre.

Solution
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

We're going to need a little more information. When posting a thread of troubleshooting nature, it's customary to include your full system's specs. Please list them like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
Monitor:

Could you also mention what the Ethernet cable terminates to on the other end if one end is terminating at your desktop? See if you can clear the CMOS by disconnecting from the wall and display(s)+Ethernet, then removing the CMOS battery from the motherboard, pressing down and holding the power button for 30 seconds(to drain any residual power), then replace the CMOS battery after 30 minutes. See if that helps in your system's revival.

Lutfij

Titan

We're going to need a little more information. When posting a thread of troubleshooting nature, it's customary to include your full system's specs. Please list them like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
Monitor:

Could you also mention what the Ethernet cable terminates to on the other end if one end is terminating at your desktop? See if you can clear the CMOS by disconnecting from the wall and display(s)+Ethernet, then removing the CMOS battery from the motherboard, pressing down and holding the power button for 30 seconds(to drain any residual power), then replace the CMOS battery after 30 minutes. See if that helps in your system's revival.

Solution

Nuwan Fernando

Distinguished
To troubleshoot this. You can try below.

Remove everything other than CPU, Motherboard, one stick of RAM. Connect the monitor and keyboard only. (I hope you r CPU has an integrated GPU)
Then try starting the it.

Also you can try a BIOS reset to.

See whether it gives the signal to the monitor.

Mar 5, 2022

CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
Monitor:

Removing the CMOS battery actually worked! Thanks so much, you're a wizard