Monitors randomly lose display signal but PC remains running and it requires a hard reset to gain the display back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jroush94

Prominent
Oct 10, 2017
PC Build:

Gtx 980 ti GPU

I7-4790k CPU

Cooler Master Hyper evo 212 CPU Cooler

16gb Corsair Vengeance (4x4) 1600 DDR3 RAM

Asus Maximus Hero VII Motherboard

EVGA - SuperNOVA G2 750W PSU

2 Samsung 850 Evo 250gb SSD's

1 Samsung 850 Evo 500gb SSD

1 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD

Asus VG248qe monitor @ 120hz via display port cable

HP monitor @ 60hz via HDMI cable

Hi everyone, I'm at wits end with this problem. Just recently my PC has run into an issue where I'll be playing a game or browsing the internet and suddenly both of my monitors will go into sleep mode and will remain off until I hard rest my PC. When this happens, sometimes my PC stays running and any applications that were running continue to run because I can hear music from Spotify playing or my games sound playing like normal. Other time me speakers will buzz for a short moment while my monitors lose connection and then the sound with either loop endlessly or cut out completely hinting at a possible freeze. A couple times I have heard a disconnect noise from windows as if an item was unplugged from the PC but I can't see what it was because the monitors display has shut off.

I have tried numerous fixes which I will attempt to list. When it first started happening, before hard resetting the PC I tried

- Unplugging the display cables and plugging them back in.

- I tried different inputs on the monitor.

- I tried swapping cables (one monitor is display port @ 120hz and the other is hdmi @ 60hz)

- Ive unplugged the monitors from the outlet and let it sit for over a minute to let it's charge drain and power cycle it

None of these options worked so I was forced to hard reset it.

I then decided to try and change the PCIE slot that my GPU was plugged into. This also had no effect as the issue persisted shortly thereafter.

I read that this issue can be caused by playing a game that is installed on an SSD that is close to being full to capacity so I have since deleted a lot of games and freed up about 150gb of space on the SSD that GTA V is installed on. I haven't had enough time to sit down and play a game for an extended period of time since doing that so I can't say that it fixed soemthing or not, but Im still looking for suggestions in case that doesn't work. And I have a feeling it won't work.

When turning the PC back on, there is no indication, or warning message from windows or in the event viewer other than the unexpected forced shutdown from me hard resetting the PC. My monitors turn on and my PC loads everything properly. So after this started to happen more frequently I decided to see if it could possibly be an overheating issue even though all of my temperatures have remained the same which I know by using tools such as Core Temp and EVGA Precision X to monitor my CPU and GPU temps respectively. Even the moment that the display signal is lost the temperatures for both the CPU and GPU are fine. But, I decided to clean up all of the dust in my system, and honestly there wasn't much. I unscrewed all of my case fans and wiped them clean. My CPU cooler was a bit dusty so I cleaned that. My GPU had barely any dust at all. Once I was happy with the cleaning job I put it all back together and tried it out and within 20 minutes of playing GTA V it lost the display signal again. However, after cleaning it, it has only happened twice. I feel like cleaning it had an impact, but I can't be sure. This is a blanket statement, but I am beginning to think the problem is hardware related and has to do with the GPU, CPU or PSU. If anyone has any suggestions I would greatly appreciate it.

UPDATE: The displays lost connection again after trying to delete some items off of my SSD to save space. So that rules that out. I have now unplugged my GPU from the motherboard and I'm using my on-board graphics to run GTA V on low. I will update again should my displays lose connection while using the on-board graphics.

jroush94

Prominent
Oct 10, 2017

Thank you for your reply. So I should download the tool, make sure the folder and tool are ignored by any antivirus software, then shutdown my PC, restart it, load into the bios and select boot in safe mode, then run the tool correct? Should I plug my GPU back in before doing all of this?

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Always make sure downloaded files are not triggering your antivirus, but that's the official site, for a highly recommended/common tool.

Running DDU will give you the option to "reboot in SafeMode" and it'll do it all for you.
Yes, I'd recommend running this with your GPU installed - It should run just fine & remove all driver traces without the GPU.... but I'd have it installed to be sure.

Since you loose display, I'd download/install DDU first. Then shutdown and install your GPU. Boot with the GPU installed and hopefully you'll have time to run DDU and select "reboot in safemode" before you loose display.

Assuming you get into safemode without any issues, you should be in the clear (if it's a driver issue) as safemode isn't loading the drivers in.

jroush94

Prominent
Oct 10, 2017

Okay sounds good. I should mention though, I have no issue using my PC, the display loss is completely random. I am able to surf the web and play games for different lengths of time, sometimes I lose display within 20 minutes, other times it's an hour or few down the line of playing a graphically intensive game. Totally random. I should also mention that I tried downloading and installing old drivers and performing a clean install. And I have tried using the most up-to-date driver with a clean install as well. I will try using DDU to erase the drivers after I have the GPU unplugged for a little while longer. I want to be sure the problem doesn't persist while the GPU is unplugged. If it doesn't persist then that pretty much means it's a problem with the GPU's hardware or the drivers as you mentioned. Thanks again. Will update if I lose display with onboard graphics or when I see fit to reinstall the GPU and try using DDU. I also have a friend who is willing to let me test my GPU on their system. I think I will leave my PC running on onboard graphics today while Im at work, then test my GPU at his house. Hopefully the problem will trigger on his PC too and that will confirm the GPU is at fault.

barrettabney

Prominent
Oct 10, 2017
I had a similar issue that turned out to be a thermal problem.
I pulled out my video card, completely removed the heatsink and mount from the card.
cleaned ALL the heat sink grease from the GPU, even washed the GPU with alcohol afterward because there are some VERY tiny components around the GPU that look like micro resisters but may instead be pins of some sort. Never the less, there can be ZERO thermal paste on any of those tiny items that completely surround the GPU on the GPU chip. Clean, clean, clean. Toothbrush and alcohol is very helpful for that. Also, clean the heatsink fins with compressed air and a clean toothbrush or maybe one of your wife's clean makeup brushes... Just don't tell her...
Then use some compressed air to dry up any residual alcohol.
Apply a dab of super expensive thermal paste from your fav web store and smooth it out so there are no ridges that might create air pockets during application of the heat sink.
Install the heat sink.
Also, take note of any heat pads that might be on the memory chips and ensure they are all centered on the chips and not hanging off the edges or touching anything else.

Now after all this is complete, here is the most crucial part, install the EVGA video card controller program and get that fan boosted up to 70% minimum and 100% at any temp over 50 degrees.

jroush94

Prominent
Oct 10, 2017

I don't feel comfortable taking my GPU apart and deep cleaning it. It is still under warranty so if this problem persists and I am able to pinpoint the GPU as the issue, then I will just RMA it. Thanks for your suggestion though!

jroush94

Prominent
Oct 10, 2017

Thanks for your suggestion! Unfortunately I tried what you said and I experienced another loss of signal shortly after. I will be sure to use this method whenever I update drivers in the future though. Thanks for the tip!

jroush94

Prominent
Oct 10, 2017

The only reason I still don't think it is the GPU is because I tested my GPU in my friend's rig. It worked just fine and never caused his monitors to shut down. He even has the exact same 144hz Asus monitor that I have being plugged in by a display port and having another 60hz monitor via HDMI. Virtually the same setup, and the problem never occurred. I wish it was that simple, but it doesn't seem to be. I am currently in the process of reinstalling windows 10. Hopefully it fixes it. If this doesn't do it then I'm probably going to try my friends GPU in my rig, which would help rule my GPU out more certainly and then I'll be able to narrow the issue down to the PSU, CPU or MOBO in that case. This is honestly the most frustrating problem I've ever had to diagnose before. Thanks for your reply!

jroush94

Prominent
Oct 10, 2017

Yes I have my GPU uninstalled from my PC currently. I have an RMA being processed and Im due to recieve my new GPU in the next few days. In the meantime Im hoping to test my friends GPU to be sure it's not a problem with a different piece of hardware. I'll update when I try a new GPU in my system!

jroush94

Prominent
Oct 10, 2017

I am currently in the process of RMAing my GPU. It is uninstalled from my PC and while I am waiting for the new one in the mail I hope to test my friends GPU just to see if the problem persists. My pc has been running on onboard graphics for the past 2 days and I havent experienced a single crash.

Status
Not open for further replies.