Question Monitors randomly turn black with loud GPU fan noise and black monitors. need urgent help

Jul 20, 2021
PC crashes/freezes randomly while gaming, monitors cut to black, I can hear some sound and what seems to be my GPU fan starts spinning rapidly and very loudly, and I am forced to manually restart. I just got a new PSU about a week ago and these problems started happening a few days ago. I have a GTX 1070 and a 650W 80+ Bronze PSU. All drivers up to date. GPU usually stays around 40-50C while gaming and about 30-35 while idle. CPU stays under 60.

Reactions: david slayer
Jul 20, 2021
That's quite a coincidence since I literally just posted this thread: seemingly the same problem. I'll be looking at both threads for a bit to hopefully figure out the exact problem.

Reactions: david slayer

Giant Hunger

Great
Jun 23, 2021
Well if that happens then you should try to reinstall the drivers or update your drivers to the latest version, and if that doesn't work, then I guess you have faulty vram. If the first option doesn't work try and install msi afterburner, after that lower your memory clock and core clock.

Jul 20, 2021
Thought I'd let you know that I seemingly have fixed a similar problem with a new PSU. Since you've bought a bronze certificated PSU I could imagine that it's just a bad one, try to look for a gold one.

david slayer

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2012
hey guys. i'm having the same issues.
i have an old 2009, but high quality 650w 80 bronze PSU, i don't see it being the problem like you have found, my voltages seem all stable.

Last edited:
Jul 21, 2021
I’m also having similar issue on gtx1070. I’m using Silverstone SX700 LPT platinum edition power supply.

tried under clocking it using msi afterburner…updating motherboard bios….all doesn’t seems to work.

I have also actually tried opened up the GPU and replaced the thermalpaste as well as thermalpads on the gpu chip and vrams. It works for i think 5 days before the same issues came back.

sigh

Last edited:

david slayer

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2012
i replaced my 1070 gpu paste also, but not the pads etc. i got no temp issues.
i can play a demanding game a few hours, then when i get back to the menu where there's barely any load, it went out.

i found someone fixed theirs by changing the gpu power cable because it was faulty, so, i took off my semi modular 6+2 cable i was using, & plugged direct 6+2 one from psu. cross fingers. 🤞

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS