Monitors shutting off when pc is on?

Benc12

Notable
Jul 12, 2017
So this issue has started happening today it was fine until about an hour ago. My pc just completely crashes and then both my monitors go completely black, with the pc still on. It isnt a motherboard nor a gpu issue as i have one plugged in on both. They become unresponsive and only come back on when i manually restart the pc, they are different monitors and one is connected with a DP and another HDMI im really stuck here and its annoying me now.

Solution

That doesn't mean it isn't a start menu item. It could be a service getting started by a startup service, or a low priority service that only gets to start after windows has finished loading everything else. The fact of the matter is something is running that wants to start a process/program which it cannot do for some reason. Disabling the items in start help track down the root of the problem.
You can try...

Jesse_20

Distinguished
Good place to start looking for issues is event viewer. Look for any system or software errors that started about the time this issue did. It could be from a bad driver update (windows 10 notoriously the culprit normally), antivirus, etc.

Benc12

Notable
Jul 12, 2017
It is coming up with an error message that the application failed to load. RZ com driver thats the message i see when i unplug my display port cable before i have to manually restart

Benc12

Notable
Jul 12, 2017
its coming up with a ton of errors some critical some error and some warnings never mind this dates back to when i got my pc (so i guess this is natural) i dont know where im looking on this event viewer then?

Benc12

Notable
Jul 12, 2017
MERGED QUESTION
Question from Benc12 : "Monitors become unresponsive when pc is still on?"

No everything crashes, so when i have a stream open it closes it and i cant hear it anymore. and it just happens randomly it seemed to be about 10 minutes into the computer being turned on. The only change that has happened recently is i bought a new 144hz monitor the start of this week but it hadnt caused any issues up until now (if that is the issue) but it does it on my other monitor too so i doubt this is the problem. and i downloaded Nvidias latest drivers 1-2 weeks ago and again no issues up until now. Apart from that no new hardware or software.

Jesse_20

Distinguished
That driver sounds suspicious to me. I would start the computer in safe mode and run a virus scan first.
If the issue persists, I would then uninstall and rollback to a previous version of the NVidia driver.
If the issue STILL persists, then start a command prompt, run as admin, and type:
drivequery

This is a list of all drivers and the install dates for them (Some MS drivers might be labeled as 2028, ignore these). Look for drivers updated around the time the issue started, and try uninstalling those drivers in device manager.

Benc12

Notable
Jul 12, 2017

Issue now is that i ran a malwarebytes scan test, the scan didnt quarantine anything yet the issue has stopped.. im so confused could it just be a blip or what?

Jesse_20

Distinguished
It's entirely possible your PC is\was trying to update windows, which can shut down or make unavailable services as it upgrades them. You can also grab a free version of superantispyware and scan with that as well.

Benc12

Notable
Jul 12, 2017

It came up with an error message which said the program couldnt start but i hadnt tried to boot anything up and it wouldnt tell me which program it was trying to open, is there a way to check latest windows update so i can put my mind at ease cos im scared of it starting to do it again it was an hour it was going on for

Jesse_20

Distinguished
you can open task manager, go to the startup tab, and disable any programs that automatically start up with windows boot.
you can disable one at a time and test run (restart/use the PC) until you find what is misbehaving.

Benc12

Notable
Jul 12, 2017

it wasnt anything on the start up though, it would just say it 5 minutes into the pc being on

Jesse_20

Distinguished

That doesn't mean it isn't a start menu item. It could be a service getting started by a startup service, or a low priority service that only gets to start after windows has finished loading everything else. The fact of the matter is something is running that wants to start a process/program which it cannot do for some reason. Disabling the items in start help track down the root of the problem.
You can try going into apps and features in control panel, select the "order by date installed" and look to see if anything is new without your knowledge.
Another way to test driver and app problems is to start in safe mode and see if the problem occurs. If so, then you have deeper issues with the system OS files or possibly a bad memory stick or failing hard drive.

Solution

Benc12

Notable
Jul 12, 2017

to be honest i think it was just a blip that my system just sorted itself out with, cos ever since i ran that anti malware scan the computer has been completely fine for 4 hours now. It was showing signs of an update being put in place (slow) but i still dont understand the error message