Monitors shutting off while playing graphically intensive games.

liamgholman

Commendable
Mar 1, 2016
I just built a new PC and for some reason when I'm playing graphically intensive games (like subnautica, Gta5, Dying Light, etc) after maybe 15 minutes to an hour both of my monitors shut off, sometimes i can hear the game running still in the background and sometimes I can't, it is clear that the computer is still up because I can hear the windows sound effects. The game doesn't run poorly before it the monitors turn off or anything, It doesn't even seem hot at all when it shuts down. I've tried to turn the idle time for the monitors to never turn off, updating everything, and basically everything I can think of that may cause this to happen. But I have no clue how to fix it.

I have:
NVIDIA Gtx970
i74770k
1600 Mb of RAM
Windows 10 Pro full version
Hydro H60 Liquid Cooling

Solution
Could be a bad gfx card. It could also be the PSU not having a strong enough +12V rail to keep the voltage up for the card.
Do you have to reboot to get the picture back?

liamgholman

Commendable
Mar 1, 2016

Yes I do, i also forgot to include that i have a 910 watt power supply.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador

910W? That's an odd size. What is the make and model?

liamgholman

Commendable
Mar 1, 2016
Yes I do, i also forgot to include that i have a 910 watt power supply.[/quotemsg]
910W? That's an odd size. What is the make and model?
[/quotemsg]

Wait did i say 910? Sorry i was tired, I meant 1000 watt.

liamgholman

Commendable
Mar 1, 2016
Wait did i say 910? Sorry i was tired, I meant 1000 watt.
[/quotemsg]

OK, but what make and model?[/quotemsg]

PC Power $ Cooling Silencer 910 (it was a 910 watt not 1000)

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador

OK, but what make and model?[/quotemsg]

PC Power $ Cooling Silencer 910 (it was a 910 watt not 1000)
[/quotemsg]
OK. Good unit. http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story5&reid=157
I wanted to be sure you didn't have some cheap piece of junk that may be causing problems. That's not to say it isn't defective of course, but at least it isn't over rated and poor quality.

What's this about "idle time adjustment" to keep the monitors from tuning off? The screen should never go blank if you are gaming unless you have Win set to turn off the monitors after X number of minutes w/o using it. That's easily fixed in the Power section of Control panel. You can disable that.