[SOLVED] Monitors turn off randomly, but PC/keyboard lights remain on and fans speed up

Apr 13, 2023
Hi, some more info about my problem:
- What I mentioned in the title would happen while gaming, watching videos, listening to music, browsing the internet, and even sometimes when my PC is idle and it's just on my desktop
- In the event that I'm playing a game or in a call and this happens, my monitors would both go black but I could still hear all audio for a few seconds before that cuts off too
- I'm left with hard restarting my PC each time this occurs, and I have to leave my PC off for some time before turning it back on to avoid a black screen on startup

My PC is kind of old, as I built it in 2017, so maybe this is just its age showing. Here are my PC's current specs:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 1700
Mobo: MSI B350 Tomahawk
RAM: G.Skill Flare X 16GB
GPU: GTX 1060 6GB
PSU: Corsair RM850x (was EVGA 650 BQ before upgrade)
Running Windows 10

The problem started in February this year and I've been trying to troubleshoot this with help from a friend since then. Initially we thought it was power related, so I replaced my old PSU (the EVGA one) with my current one (the Corsair one). That seemed to do the trick for a few days until the problem started again. I tried updating drivers, resetting my CMOS battery, cleaning the dust out of my PC, and none of that seemed to fix my issue. I did some more googling and thought my problem might be stemming from an overheating GPU. I tried using MSI Afterburner to monitor temps and adjust my GPU fan speeds, but after I experienced my problem yet again while my card was at 38 C I'm not too convinced it's an overheating issue. Tomorrow I'm planning on reapplying thermal paste to my CPU and GPU to see if that does anything, but to be honest I'm not really sure if it will help.

Hopefully this made sense and any help is greatly appreciated.
Thank you!

If the PSU and GPU has checked out, it pretty much comes down to the RAM, Motherboard and CPU. You will probably have to test them one by one. CPU does not go out that easily, so you can keep it for the end. At this stage the motherboard looks like the most likely suspect, but again you have to test it to be sure. Unfortunately motherboard has limited testing scope so the most convenient option is to RMA it or test with a substitute.

Apr 13, 2023
If the PSU and GPU has checked out, it pretty much comes down to the RAM, Motherboard and CPU. You will probably have to test them one by one. CPU does not go out that easily, so you can keep it for the end. At this stage the motherboard looks like the most likely suspect, but again you have to test it to be sure. Unfortunately motherboard has limited testing scope so the most convenient option is to RMA it or test with a substitute.
Thanks for the reply. I don't think I would be able to RMA my motherboard considering I no longer have its box and information regarding its warranty (I bought it 6 years ago) & I don't have access to a substitute. How exactly would I go about testing my RAM/CPU? Which programs are best?

Thanks for the reply. I don't think I would be able to RMA my motherboard considering I no longer have its box and information regarding its warranty (I bought it 6 years ago) & I don't have access to a substitute. How exactly would I go about testing my RAM/CPU? Which programs are best?
For the RAM you can choose either the Windows Mmemory Test or Passmark...

For the CPU you can try Prime95 or IBT...

But strongly recommend that you check the board before the CPU. You can go to a repair store and ask them to test it for you.

Apr 13, 2023
For the RAM you can choose either the Windows Mmemory Test or Passmark...

For the CPU you can try Prime95 or IBT...

But strongly recommend that you check the board before the CPU. You can go to a repair store and ask them to test it for you.
Thanks for the links. Managed to get my hands on a substitute motherboard, and the issue persists. I also ran Windows Memory Diagnostic and it detected no problems. Today I discovered that the PC is still functional beyond the black screens and audio was still playing after they shut off. Tried lowering GPU's power limit and that didn't seem to help either. I'm thinking this is a GPU issue then? I'm at a loss.

Thanks for the links. Managed to get my hands on a substitute motherboard, and the issue persists. I also ran Windows Memory Diagnostic and it detected no problems. Today I discovered that the PC is still functional beyond the black screens and audio was still playing after they shut off. Tried lowering GPU's power limit and that didn't seem to help either. I'm thinking this is a GPU issue then? I'm at a loss.
Could be possible.

Also try a fresh installation of Windows, run the most basic utilities for a while without installing too much additional stuff, and see if you encounter the issue.

You can also use this software...