Question Monochrome LCD merged with traditionl LCD?

shafe88

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2010
Idea popped in my head while looking at my backlit watch, why not merge the monochrome lcd technology used in watches with traditional LCD displays to create true blacks. You'd have the monochrome and color lcd sandwiched together, allowing to turn each pixel black. For even more contrast their could be two monochrome panels, one that's completely black that blocks all light, and one that semi-transparent black that lets a little light through for those scenes that are really dark but no completely black.
1362118064.jpg

Idea popped in my head while looking at my backlit watch, why not merge the monochrome lcd technology used in watches with traditional LCD displays to create true blacks. You'd have the monochrome and color lcd sandwiched together, allowing to turn each pixel black. For even more contrast their could be two monochrome panels, one that's completely black that blocks all light, and one that semi-transparent black that lets a little light through for those scenes that are really dark but no completely black.
1362118064.jpg

There are already designs to make LCD screens with better colors, starting with the IPS stuff that has been around for a while. IPS, AMOLED, VA are some examples that work to create more black black colors.

TRENDING THREADS