Monster 6-PC MMORPG Rig Quickens Farming

Status
Not open for further replies.

restatement3dofted

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2010
XZin ran a multi-rig multibox setup like this back in WoW's heyday - one priest, 4x mages. Managed to melt faces up to Rank 13 on all five toons. Never saw pics of his setup, but this approach to MMOs isn't new.

babybeluga

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2010
When you have to go through such links to win in a game, you should just start playing Farmville.

I use that reference having no clue what Farmville actually is, just that it's hot right now and farm is in the title.

isamuelson

Distinguished
Loser!

All this for virtual cash and goods. How much did THAT set up cost him? Maybe the guy should watch the "Make Love Not Warcraft" Episode of South Park to hopefully get a clue. I can picture him like the loser in that episode with a bag of Cheetos next to him with a can of Raging Bull. Wow.

BTW, does he live in his parents house in the basement? Probably does... [:isamuelson:7]

pojih

Distinguished
May 21, 2009
Not sure how eve works, but if you just leveled 6 people to 80 or w/e in wow you could then sell each character.

I'm hoping this is what he's doing.

isamuelson

Distinguished
[citation][nom]babybeluga[/nom]When you have to go through such links to win in a game, you should just start playing Farmville.I use that reference having no clue what Farmville actually is, just that it's hot right now and farm is in the title.[/citation]

Last night I watched the South Park episode called "You Have Zero Friends" which takes a swipe at the Facebook/Myspace community that does nothing but live and breath on those sites. I have a Facebook account, but I rarely do much on it except to possibly see what old friends from school and my military years are doing, but I don't live 24 hours in front of the PC with it.

G

"Wow- is it really worth it? I think I'd lose the enjoyment of the game if I did something like that."

Isn't Eve Online one of the games that doesnt frown upon the interaction of the in-game economy with the real world economy? So whatever he's grinding for is actually making him money? I'm guessing he isnt doing that for the fun of it.

doeboy

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2009
this is becoming more typical as we get more technology in our hands. I see it everyday. The social abilities of people are deteriorating quickly. Thus they end up in a box like this guy has made for himself and is most likely highly depressed and wanting more just not knowing how to get to it. Somebody help this guy out and get him a date cause I know the poonanny makes me jump off my pc right away!

G

Why not just create some circuit boards that'll repeat the signals from one usb device to another and introduce "some" error so they aren't exactly the same and won't count as cheating? Or, even better yet, GET A LIFE =)

xc0mmiex

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2008
impressive, you can't deny that... i wish though that people applied that much ingenuity to real world issues, not the issue of getting money in EVE

kingnoobe

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2008
How do you know he's depressed. Before you go flaming how about you get a clue. Obviously he has money, but chose to build this. HINT HINT! Maybe he simply gets the most enjoyment out of the actual building part then the game itself. This just game him something to do.

This is no different then any other hobby. If he enjoys it more power to him. But lets flame since he rather spend his time doing something he enjoys then being in a garage which most would find normal.

Regected

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2008
I have played eve for several years now, and have met many people in game who make a decent living through the game. CCP, the developers of eve, have a system in place to help convert ISK (game currency) into real world money. This is done through buying and selling of game time cards. They understand that some people don't want to spend their time grinding for money, so they left a legitimate avenue to buy game money. You can purchase two game time cards for $35 USD, which is $5 more than two months worth of subscription. You then exchange both GTCs for in game PLEX cards, which sell for around 350 million ISK, and whoever buys the PLEX can use the PLEX to add 30 days of game time to their account.

As a casual gamer, I make around 200 million ISK an hour using two accounts. That comes out around $8.57 an hour if I were to convert it all to GTCs and sell them. That's better money than flipping burgers and much more enjoyable.

G

The negative comments about this story are unfortunately the result of years of stereotyping by popular media. If someone spends their time/money reading books, playing chess, hanging out at the mall, going nuts over sports, painting, etc., we say its a good hobby for a well adjusted person. But heaven forbid if someone's hobby deals with a MMO video game. Then the person needs a life and whatever money they spent is a waste.

I do the same with wow and its great its quad logging on the same machine is ware it gets complicated or hosting your own raids that way. I should get the other box up and running and have 8 accounts at once. :D

kingssman

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2006
This is kinda going beyond the personal 5man shaman multibox that i see in WOW. I've played EVE and i truly don't see a benefit of using multiple accounts unless you're either a duo team (tank/tackler) or (miner/hauler) but to go with 6 accounts thats like all miners and haulers. Mining in eve is pretty much an AFK way to play and i don't know what scale of Profit comes from it.
I do know that EVE levels like wine. A character that has been playing for 3 years will have a huge amount of XP vs a 3 month character, and since you can't grind XP, you have to let it sit and mature, makes selling these 3 year characters very profitable.

tsnorquist

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2009
@marcus_br

I had the exact same thoughts. For what this costs, this guy could have gone with a high end 4/6 core system, 8-16 gigs of ram, and a couple of 40" 1080P screens.

Whatever floats his boat.... or space ship i guess.

G

[citation][nom]marcus_br[/nom]Well,Anyone thought of virtualization?With only one set of keyboard, mouse and a big screen he could handle all these 6 or mores guys.He could just get a capable 4-core CPU (well, now there's even the option of six-core, so one core per game instance)...get himself some 12 GB of ram...and a decent video card.Couple that with VMWare or whatever...and load up each game in it's own windows installation. He could switch from one VM to the other as fast (or even faster) than he does get a handle of looking in the right screen and getting the right mouse and keyboard.(MUCH MUCH) Cheaper, lower power consumption...same result.[/citation]

Have you ever tried playing a modern 3d game in a VM, the graphics drivers do not allow for properly rendered and speedy 3d, so this idea will not work sorry, would be awesome if it did, have tried this with lotro but no tickets soz!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS