Monster RAID Build!!!!

krisaowa

Reputable
Nov 26, 2015
Dear Sir or Madam:

I was hoping to get your help on a particular matter.

I have just bought the Norcotek RPC-4224 cabinet server enclosure as highly recommended in several youtube videos!

I wanted to upgrade my home windows server which currently stores movies and music on a JBOD setup. Hence after buying this server enclosure, I am now thinking of Raiding my drives with Level 6 if you recommend it with the hardware I have.

My mobo is an Intel- the D975XBX2; SAS Expander Card to Connect to the 6 Backplanes is the Intel RES2CV369 and the Raid Controller Card is the Intel RS2BL080. Other than the Mobo, I had recently purchased the 2 Cards, as this config had been suggested by the Intel Helpline.

So the advice I am looking for is how to configure the hardware for my purpose and begin the procedure. Specific queries would be the following:

1. After the Cards have been inserted, should I be trying to Setup Raid at a Hardware Level (before Windows boot begins) OR is this done within Windows? Personally I would like to do it at a Hardware Level if possible.

I have had some experience in the Raid Setup with the Marvell Controller which is onboard the Mobo.

2. At time of Raid Setup, I may only have 3 - 4 HDDs connected to the backplanes. Hence, how do I setup the Raid considering all 24 or say 20 drives from the very beginning? Will the Raid Card show all 24 Ports which may be selected to build the raid? Or would it only show the Drives that are connected?

3. If I am able to select upto all the 24 drive bays connected to the backplane, as queried above, how do I begin the Raid? Do i have to simply add drives and data from a source drive?

4. Ideally I would like to have the Raid6 Setup on 20 Drives (5 backplanes) and 4 Drives (1 Backplane) as JBOD, which I could use as different drive letters and can simply use as source drives through which I could add data to my Raid setup.

Considering the above, I humbly request your advice on how I should go about this and what your recommendations other than what I have listed here are.

Thanks!

Kris