Monster Selection

I need a guardian-esque type of monster (one monster) that would be a
fitting challenge for a party of 5(decent mix) who average about 6th level,
a monster that is intelligent enough to follow orders like "guard that man".
I have a fully evacuated city quarter that I can place them in, so space is
not a problem, nor are extreme combat techniques(fire breathing, spells,
blah blah), and even if the monster is something that would otherwise be
noticed in a city, this part of the city is literally deserted.

Suggestions?

--
Jeff Goslin - MCSD - www.goslin.info

A tiny dragon (blue for example)

Jeff Goslin wrote:
> I need a guardian-esque type of monster (one monster) that would be a
> fitting challenge for a party of 5(decent mix) who average about 6th
> level, a monster that is intelligent enough to follow orders like
> "guard that man". I have a fully evacuated city quarter that I can
> place them in, so space is not a problem, nor are extreme combat
> techniques(fire breathing, spells, blah blah), and even if the
> monster is something that would otherwise be noticed in a city, this
> part of the city is literally deserted.
>
> Suggestions?

Depending upon what it's guarding, and for whom, maybe a golem? Flesh for a
reasonable challenge, clay for a tough challenge.

--
Mark.

"Jeff Goslin" <autockr@comcast.net> wrote in message
> I need a guardian-esque type of monster (one monster) that would be a
> fitting challenge for a party of 5(decent mix) who average about 6th
level,
> a monster that is intelligent enough to follow orders like "guard that
man".
> I have a fully evacuated city quarter that I can place them in, so space
is
> not a problem, nor are extreme combat techniques(fire breathing, spells,
> blah blah), and even if the monster is something that would otherwise be
> noticed in a city, this part of the city is literally deserted.
>
> Suggestions?

Dragon Skeleton. PC's might think it's a dracolich.
Misdirection can be fun at times. Depending on
which set of rules you use, you can still have a
pretty good "dragon" to play with.

Guardian Daemon?

- Ron ^*^

"Mangon" <mangon@exhib.nu> wrote in message
> A tiny dragon (blue for example)

Only problem with that is that our party would not be able to handle even
the smallest of dragons. In our campaign, dragons are the ultimate monster,
their stats are SIGNIFICANTLY better than they are in the book.

--

"Mark Blunden" <m.blundenATntlworld.com@address.invalid> wrote in message
> Jeff Goslin wrote:
> > I need a guardian-esque type of monster (one monster) that would be a
> > fitting challenge for a party of 5(decent mix) who average about 6th
> > level, a monster that is intelligent enough to follow orders like
> > "guard that man". I have a fully evacuated city quarter that I can
>
> Depending upon what it's guarding, and for whom, maybe a golem? Flesh for
> reasonable challenge, clay for a tough challenge.

BD&D has a bone golem that I might steal. 4 att/round, immunities as golem
and skeleton combined, 8 HD(IIRC), should provide a few rounds of spirited
combat, especially if it focuses it's attack on a single individual. All
I'd need is a few rounds of combat, it's not meant to be the ultimate
adventure encounter or anything.

A golem is a good choice. The guardian would be an avatar of a high level
wizard, so that makes sense.

--
Jeff Goslin - MCSD - www.goslin.info

"Jeff Goslin" <autockr@comcast.net> wrote in

> I need a guardian-esque type of monster...
> ...Suggestions?

You need at least one cow set as a guard just in case any bugs or insects
wander into the area.

-phy

Dan

On Sun, 03 Apr 2005 13:34:42 GMT, phy <phy00x@yahoo.com> gibbered into
the void:

>"Jeff Goslin" <autockr@comcast.net> wrote in
>
>> I need a guardian-esque type of monster...
>> ...Suggestions?
>>

>You need at least one cow set as a guard just in case any bugs or insects
>wander into the area.
>
>-phy

He said guardian-esque, not predatory.