Monster Sound MX 300 IRQ Questions...

chubasco

Distinguished
May 7, 2001
I seem to be experiencing system lockups due to too many devices on the same IRQ - 10. My sound card, video card and PCI to USB Universal Host Controller are all on it.

The interesting thing is that my sound card (Monster Sound MX 300) is using two IRQ's (10 & 5). Monster Sound 2 PCI audio and Monster Sound 2 multifunction parent are on IRQ 10.

Monster Sound 2 Soundblaster Pro Emulation is on IRQ 5. Can somebody please tell me what this is? I tried to change its' IRQ but it wouldn't let me. Can I remove it without causing other problems?

I'd like to avoid buying a new sound card, but if simply moving this card to a different PCI slot doesn't work then I guess I'll have to.

Thanks in advance for any input.

jg38141

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Move it to pci slot 2 or 3 and try that out. Nothing should share with your graphics card ever. That may be causing the problem as well.

My Jesus is whiter than your Jesus.

jg38141

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
oh and you can just disable the sb emulation. Usb needs to be elsewhere too. Graphics card should be on 11. Either the top pci slot or the agp slot should do that automatically.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
You can disable Soundblaster emulation by removing the line from Autoexec.bat, or change it's IRQ by changing the line to read I7 instead of I5 (or you can use I3, I4, whichever you want).

Cast not thine pearls before the swine

jg38141

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
or just disable it in the hardware configuration by choosing "disable". Crash why doing it the hard way???

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
If you remove the line form Autoexec, it will be gone completely instead of just "disabled" in system properties. But if you are still using DOS mode games, you should reconfigure it instead, and that would be done by editing the line in Autoexec.

Cast not thine pearls before the swine