News MonsterLabo's "The Beast" Lets You Passively Cool Up To 400W Of Heat

nofanneeded

Respectable
Sep 29, 2019
Passive cooling has no "feel the power" , they are for silent operation not power operation. also they are cleaner and dust does not enter the case.

however , once they use the fans even at 500rpm , they allow dust in eliminating a major positive of a Passive PC.

Last edited:
Being able to cool a Ryzen 3950x and a geforce 2080Ti without any fans/noise isn't just a party trick.

This has real world applications for a quiet computing if true

Even with 2 140mm fans blowing at 500 rpm the noise should be extremely quiet.

500 rpm is below the minimum settings for many 140mm case fans which appears to be a practically inaudible 10 decibels.

https://www.chem.purdue.edu/chemsafety/Training/PPETrain/dblevels.htm

https://www.newegg.com/cooler-master-mfx-b4dn-14npa-r1-case-fan/p/1YF-0010-002E3?Description=case fans&cm_re=case_fans--1YF-0010-002E3--Product&quicklink=true

Having said that I will still wait for a review before buying.

nofanneeded

Respectable
Sep 29, 2019
Being able to cool a Ryzen 3950x and a geforce 2080Ti without any fans/noise isn't just a party trick.

This has real world applications for a quiet computing if true

Even with 2 140mm fans blowing at 500 rpm the noise should be extremely quiet.

500 rpm is below the minimum settings for many 140mm case fans which appears to be a practically inaudible 10 decibels.

https://www.chem.purdue.edu/chemsafety/Training/PPETrain/dblevels.htm

https://www.newegg.com/cooler-master-mfx-b4dn-14npa-r1-case-fan/p/1YF-0010-002E3?Description=case fans&cm_re=case_fans--1YF-0010-002E3--Product&quicklink=true

Having said that I will still wait for a review before buying.

I bet that this case would be at least $800 ... and would weight tons .. If you want fully silent PC then it is fine .

But IMO if you want to use 500rpm fans in it , then use water cooling and set the fans at 500 rpm as well on radiators . and fill that case with radiators at the same total price . and choose Radiators with more spacing to lower the Air pressure needed to cool them.

use 3x140 or 3x180 radiators .. each at around $100 .. you can put like 4 of them for $400

I bet that this case would be at least $800 ... and would weight tons .. If you want fully silent PC then it is fine .

But IMO if you want to use 500rpm fans in it , then use water cooling and set the fans at 500 rpm as well on radiators . and fill that case with radiators at the same total price . and choose Radiators with more spacing to lower the Air pressure needed to cool them.

use 3x140 or 3x180 radiators .. each at around $100 .. you can put like 4 of them for $400
Agreed.

Hopefully a proper review clears this up.

Even if it was a $400+ cooling device I would imagine it would be more reliable and easier to setup then setting up a custom water cooling rig.

Olle P

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2010
I find it difficult to understand how the motherboard is supposed to be oriented.
A graphics card should sit vertically between the stacks of heatsinks?

Also: Will it work with the next gen motherboards, released some 18 months from now?

CooliPi

Reputable
Oct 4, 2019
Passive cooling has no "feel the power" , they are for silent operation not power operation. also they are cleaner and dust does not enter the case.

however , once they use the fans even at 500rpm , they allow dust in eliminating a major positive of a Passive PC.

Technically, if the radiators are inside the case, then without filters, dust can enter the case. Because major mode of heat exchange is through heating of the air, irradiation is minuscule. Airflow is the king, a filter underside on air inlet would eliminate dust, but also decrease performance.

So, if you want a silent PC, you can have fans, but the deeper they're hidden inside the case, the better for silent operation. If you build a fanless PC, you also get an advantage of no mechanical parts that can break. Those are two distinct design points. I have a Noctua NH-D15 heatsink and even at 700RPM, it's inaudible, thanks to it being inside a Define R4 case. More noise is generated by rotating disks - I don't see any super duper enclosure around the disks in this design. But I have to clean filters once in a while - the case have them hot-swappable, fortunately.

Further regarding this design : placing the fans on the top of it makes them more audible, than placing them underside.

I also miss handles to move it around, or wheels. This is going to be heavy. I also miss pressure derating of its performance, because at higher altitudes, pressure leads to less contact of air molecules, hence lower cooling performance. Irradiation is really minuscule here. Maybe I've overlooked it.

Funny story about our own passive cooler(case) CooliPi - but for Raspberry Pi - which had no compromise design goals regarding both fanless and passive operation - actually the first customer who used it with a recommended Noctua fan responded that its cooling performance is "unreal", after he ordered a fan beforehand before he even got the cooler. :) Well, the design points was that it'd be the best cooler on the block even without a fan, the fan only needed over some >50˚C ambient temperature.

Practically, when using an overclocked Raspberry Pi as a workstation, most of the time it's idling. No fan needed. Only when playing some HD video it's loaded enough that it heats somewhat. And the usage scenario with this abovementioned case may be the same - if you don't load it, you don't have to spin any fans, hence it's fanless and passive. You only need some circuitry to spin a fan only when it's needed.

To wrap it up, even though I've designed my own massive coolercase for the Pi, I'd still go for a somewhat traditional PC case, because of the sound of rotating disks. I bet a user of this case would need lots of storage and rotating disks are still cheapest - and loudest part of contemporary PC. But maybe I'm wrong and the customers with deep pockets can afford some mutli-terabyte SSD storage. But I'd be scared of it's cooling, because the fastest drives come in M.2 form factor, not SATA. Hard to reach them with this heatsink and cool them properly...

... funniest story at the end.The loudest thing of my PC setup is the monitor. Yes, it has two fans. Good old IBM T221 with 16:10 4k screen. Unmatched even today.