Month old build with occasonal blue screen on win7

Hi, I have a new build that has an occaional blue screen crash (typically when idle) about once a week or so.
system:
i5 2500k OC to 4.5ghz (mobo's auto tune)
Asus p8z68v/gen3 mobo
sapphire radeon HD7950 gpu
thermaltake grand 1050w (80+gold)
corsair vengeance DDR3 1600 ram

I have also had similar crashes at slightly lower OCs (around 4.2ghz), I haven't gotten any running the i5 at stock speed, but because the crashes are so infrequent it's hard to know for sure.

Also, is there a way for me to load my most recent mini dump files so hopefully someone can help me diagnose the problem?

Thanks in advance!

Solution
^1 to outlander

aslo the one thing that caught my i was he is using auto tune. i have the x3 gen 3 and i manually overclocked. from what i heard auto tune overclocking isn't always stable.
thank god!

ran whocrash, this is repeatedly the problem

On Sun 3/18/2012 12:49:35 AM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\031712-19702-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: atikmpag.sys (atikmpag+0x79E0)
Bugcheck code: 0x116 (0xFFFFFA8018483110, 0xFFFFF880043069E0, 0x0, 0xD)
Error: VIDEO_TDR_ERROR
file path: C:\Windows\system32\drivers\atikmpag.sys
product: AMD driver
company: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
description: AMD multi-vendor Miniport Driver
Bug check description: This indicates that an attempt to reset the display driver and recover from a timeout failed.
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: atikmpag.sys (AMD multi-vendor Miniport Driver, Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.).
Google query: atikmpag.sys Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. VIDEO_TDR_ERROR

seems to be a TDR error...
I googled it, and just to eliminate possibilities, I am running a thermaltake grand 1050w, so I should have enough stable power

zakattak80

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2011
^1 to outlander

aslo the one thing that caught my i was he is using auto tune. i have the x3 gen 3 and i manually overclocked. from what i heard auto tune overclocking isn't always stable.

Solution

I have done multiple driver re-installations, including on a fresh copy of windows... so perhaps the driver itself is a bit choppy?

otherwise, hmm, maybe I'll go back to my manually overclocking. so a bad cpu overclock can still show up as video TDR eh? didn't know that at all :O

zakattak80

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2011
well also have you ran the system on safe mode for a few hours and put it in a stress test? because bsod's even with a monitoring program arnt always right. i believe thats what my blue screen was telling me when i first started overclocking the cpu. it stopped when i increased the voltage slightly.

rolled back to mannual oc profile. this one I have done a 24 hour prime95 test on and should be fine...

I switched to the auto-OC while I was having some GPU hardware malfunction and somehow thought something was wrong with my mannual OC... (long story there)

one interesting thing is that I only get my bsod crashes while system is on idle, say if I turned it on in the morning, went to work, and would come back to the "windows has recovered from a bsod message"...

did the memtest and all 4 of my sticks seem to be fine.

everything seems to be fine now on a manual OC... but that's with forced sleep-mode and short idling periods... I'll wait a few days and see I guess. thanks a lot guys!

well, so good so far, seem to be fixed with a mannual instead of auto OC... did some research and I think the biggest difference was I set the PLL voltage to 1.8125 instead of just leaving it on auto, apparently on auto it drops below 1.8 on high OCs

otherwise, could just be some instability with the auto OC. some have also suggested AMD driver issues with the 79xx series

anyway, to reiterate, so good so far with even a 6hr idle run, no bsod's. so I'm a happy camper :) thanks guys and hope this helps others with similar issues!