[SOLVED] Month old PC started not booting unless I turn off/on the power switch.

Jul 20, 2020
So I built my PC about a month ago, everything was running smooth. Then, all of a sudden it stops booting, the fans spin, a little while rectangle shows up on one monitor then disappears, fans stop spinning and then it repeats the process. It would only boot when I reset the power and even then the fans would spin once, no boot, then on the second set of spins it would boot normally. Any idea what could be causing this and how I could fix it?

Specs:
Ryzen 3700X
32GB Corsair RGB 3200 Ram
EVGA RTX 2070
750W Corsair Power Supply
Samsung NVM.e Drive is where windows is installed.

Solution
Sounds like a bios safety feature kicking in.
Most bios will do a double boot if something falls out of spec.

Generally the issue is going to be ram speed/settings.

Did you enable xmp in bios when first building??

Try booting into bios, see what ram is actually set at, you may find that all bios options have reset to default.
Sounds like a bios safety feature kicking in.
Most bios will do a double boot if something falls out of spec.

Generally the issue is going to be ram speed/settings.

Did you enable xmp in bios when first building??

Try booting into bios, see what ram is actually set at, you may find that all bios options have reset to default.

Solution
Good advice Matt, normally, but it's hard to see that being a scenario consistent with "it was working smoothly" and then suddenly, it wasn't. That scenario seems a lot more consistent with "something has failed" or "I did something bad".

I agree but everything there is new and good quality.
Straight away I thought psu like yourself but when it's a RMx it becomes less likely.
That said it could still be the psu.

I'd still check ram settings first, clock it right back down to 2133 and see what happens.

We do need a little more information though I think, OP may have done something in between it working reliably and not, ryzen can be very fickle about overclocking be it ram or cpu.