Mooney Bravo MP & RPM Combinations

Does anyone know the proper combinations of Manifold Pressure and RPM's for
the Mooney Bravo during climb, cruise climb, cruise @ various power
percentages, and descent?

The MS documentation doesn't have any thing.

TIA

"Lakeview Bill" <bdentonchi@hotmail.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> Does anyone know the proper combinations of Manifold Pressure and RPM's
> for
> the Mooney Bravo during climb, cruise climb, cruise @ various power
> percentages, and descent?
>
> The MS documentation doesn't have any thing.
>
> TIA

Well, it has a bit, but admittently not exhaustive. The thing is there's not
even a common power setting table for all TIO-540 engines as they use
different ratings on different A/C. In the Mooney e.g. they use a T/O power
setting of 38" Hg whereas in the Piper Malibu the same engine develops a bit
more power at 42" Hg.
So as long as you can't get hold of an original Mooney Bravo manual take the
following figures:

T/O 38" Hg 2575 RPM
Climb 35" Hg 2400 RPM, leaning to 1400 °F EGT and 400 CHT allowed

Cruise between 28 and 34" at RPM's between 2200 and 2400. Mixture leaned.
Never exceed 1450 °F EGT and 420 °F Cylinder Head Temp.

For descent initailly reduce to 25" and 2200 RPM and let it stabilize for at
least 1 minute. Inorder to not cool down too fast lean the mixture to max.
1350 °F EGT.
After one min. you may reduce to 20" and partial still leaning. Try to
avoid power settings below 20" to reduce excessive piston ring wear (ok,ok,
we're in a game......or sim, as you like.. ;-) )

These values are derived from a Lycoming TIO 540 Manual however not
specially adapted for the Mooney Bravo but still valid as a general
guideline. As you might see it's quite tricky to do a reasonable descent
schedule without the help of speed brakes. In this exceptional case it is
recommended to use speed brakes in first priority to avoid excessive cooling
of the engine. Handling of turbocharged engines is a bit delicate.......
Hope this helps.
--
Oskar
(retired captain)

Perfect!

Thanks much, Oskar...

> Perfect!
>
> Thanks much, Oskar...
>

> "Oskar Wagner" <rengaw@swissonline.ch> wrote in message
>> "Lakeview Bill" <bdentonchi@hotmail.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
>> > Does anyone know the proper combinations of Manifold Pressure and RPM's
>> > for
>> > the Mooney Bravo during climb, cruise climb, cruise @ various power
>> > percentages, and descent?
>> >
>> > The MS documentation doesn't have any thing.
>> >
>> > TIA
>> >
>> Well, it has a bit, but admittently not exhaustive. The thing is there's
> not
>> even a common power setting table for all TIO-540 engines as they use
>> different ratings on different A/C. In the Mooney e.g. they use a T/O
> power
>> setting of 38" Hg whereas in the Piper Malibu the same engine develops a
> bit
>> more power at 42" Hg.
>> So as long as you can't get hold of an original Mooney Bravo manual take
> the
>> following figures:
>>
>> T/O 38" Hg 2575 RPM
>> Climb 35" Hg 2400 RPM, leaning to 1400 °F EGT and 400 CHT allowed
>>
>> Cruise between 28 and 34" at RPM's between 2200 and 2400. Mixture leaned.
>> Never exceed 1450 °F EGT and 420 °F Cylinder Head Temp.
>>
>> For descent initailly reduce to 25" and 2200 RPM and let it stabilize for
> at
>> least 1 minute. Inorder to not cool down too fast lean the mixture to
>> max.
>> 1350 °F EGT.
>> After one min. you may reduce to 20" and partial still leaning. Try to
>> avoid power settings below 20" to reduce excessive piston ring wear
> (ok,ok,
>> we're in a game......or sim, as you like.. ;-) )
>>
>> These values are derived from a Lycoming TIO 540 Manual however not
>> specially adapted for the Mooney Bravo but still valid as a general
>> guideline. As you might see it's quite tricky to do a reasonable descent
>> schedule without the help of speed brakes. In this exceptional case it is
>> recommended to use speed brakes in first priority to avoid excessive
> cooling
>> of the engine. Handling of turbocharged engines is a bit delicate.......
>> Hope this helps.
>> --
>> Oskar
>> (retired captain)
>> Remember, in the great scheme of things, we're all small potatoes...

Just a small addition to that. The somewhat altered configuration on the
Bravo allows for TIT (Turbine Inlet Temperature) up to 1750 °F and CHT of up
to 450 °F. However I must admit that I never tested these values whether
they are realistic on the MS2004 Bravo. But as I know the default A/C it
should be more or less ok. They are not as bad as their reputation is....
;-)
--
Oskar
(retired captain)
Remember, in the great scheme of things, we're all small potatoes...

Bob

Oskar Wagner wrote:
> "Lakeview Bill" <bdentonchi@hotmail.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
>
>>Does anyone know the proper combinations of Manifold Pressure and RPM's
>>for
>>the Mooney Bravo during climb, cruise climb, cruise @ various power
>>percentages, and descent?
>>
>>The MS documentation doesn't have any thing.
>>
>>TIA
>>

> Well, it has a bit, but admittently not exhaustive.
> These values are derived from a Lycoming TIO 540 Manual however not
> specially adapted for the Mooney Bravo but still valid as a general
> guideline. As you might see it's quite tricky to do a reasonable descent
> schedule without the help of speed brakes. In this exceptional case it is
> recommended to use speed brakes in first priority to avoid excessive cooling
> of the engine. Handling of turbocharged engines is a bit delicate.......
> Hope this helps.

It helped me. Another message saved.

--

boB