News More $125 AMD AM5 Motherboards Are Coming

I've found, over the past 20 years, that ASRock and Gigabyte have had better value than the other two "Big-4" board makers, ASUS and MSi.

My last 4 motherboards have been a Gigabyte 990FX, an ASRock X370, an ASRock X570 and a Biostar A320 (it was $40CAD, can you blame me?).

I've never owned an ASUS motherboard and the one MSi motherboard I owned (K9A2 Platinum) died a few months after the 1-year warranty expired. I would be more than happy to never buy either of those motherboards for the rest of my life. ASRock and Gigabyte are all I will ever need.

I'm just the opposite.
I buy Asus motherboards. Mostly prime quality boards. NoRGB or 20 USB ports needed.
Not their high end stuff.
I have had 3 MSI boards fail and 2 Gigabyte boards fail. I have 1 gigabyte running now and 3 ASUS.
Out of 30 or more Asus boards I have had one failure before retirement. I still have some really old ones that still boot and run.
So 3 for 3 on MSI failure and 2 of 3 Gigabyte failure.
Tried the others but .......

TechieTwo

Notable
Oct 12, 2022
You can be sure the other mobo makers will offer a $125. AM5 mobo also. I would not expect most people using these mobos to be buying over-priced SSDs or DRAM but there certainly might be a few.

As far as brands go I've used quite a few Asrock and Gigabyte mobos with good success. MSI and Asus not so much. Asus was/is using multiple other companies to produce their various model mobos so the quality could vary considerably. Back when Asus was only supplying OEM/ODM builders not the retail consumer market their quality was better IME.

I stopped using Gigabyte AMD Durable mobos when they refused to upgrade the VRM to handle the 8-core CPUs resulting in massive throttling. It took two years before Gigabyte finally upgraded their VRMs. Since switching to Asrock mobos it's been nothing but smooth sailing and reliable performance. The OC performance has also been excellent.

IMO the sweet spot for AM5 users is the Asrock X670 Steel Legend priced at $300. It has all the whistles and bells. The Steel Legend B650E is ~$30. less and also a good deal for many folks.

Your mileage may vary.

PlaneInTheSky

Commendable
BANNED
Oct 3, 2022
I've found, over the past 20 years, that ASRock and Gigabyte have had better value than the other two "Big-4" board makers, ASUS and MSi.

Gigabyte and ASRock are cheaper because they have more reliability issues.

Same reason AMD GPU are cheaper but few people buy them because of the driver reliability issues.

Reliability matters.

Same reason AMD GPU are cheaper but few people buy them because of the driver reliability issues.

Reliability matters.
Not my experience - it's more a matter of this or that motherboard, not the manufacturer - I've had Gigabyte boards last for a decade and MSI boards fry after a couple years. Same with ASrock and Asus.
ASrock do make reliable entry-level motherboards : I've used their B450M Pro4(-F) on several dozen projects (I must have assembled 30 computers based on those babies) without a single one failing.

I agree. Back in the am3 days I built a number of systems for others and used mostly gigabyte. Rarely had issues. There was the one guy who did drywall in the room his computer was in and didn’t even bother to cover the computer then wondered why the computer acted funny.

The board in my current rig is an asrock ab350 pro 4 from 2017 or 18. Been a very reliable board. Running a 5800x in it these days and still running like a champ.

TechieTwo

Notable
Oct 12, 2022

Reliability matters.

You realize that your comment is nonsense, right?

The only mobo I've had fail in 30 years was an Asus. Their warranty replacement mobo for a less than 1 year old mobo was a POS that had been manually repaired and looked like it sat on the side of the roadway for a year. I sent it back to them and bought a new Asrock mobo because I wanted reliability. I have numerous Asrock and Gigabyte mobos still working just fine after 20+ years.

Did you know that AMD actually produced Intel CPUs for years before they started selling their own CPUs - which by all accounts are the best CPUs available today and have been for years. Your beliefs are not based on the experience of the majority of PC builders or PC owners. That's why professionally always qualify their statements by saying In My Experience (IME) because we all have different experience - some more comprehensive than others.

Reactions: Unolocogringo
Mar 16, 2019
No mention of Asrock's lack of 10Gb/s USP ports, Gigabyte has 2 10Gb/s, (1-A port and 1-C port) while both have the same number of 5Gb/s (2) and 2.0 (4) ports.
I don't know if the lack of USB 3.2 Gen 2 ports (10Gb/s) is dependent on the M.2 PCIe 5.0 x4 that Asrock offers over Gigabyte or not. I know that the use of an M.2 slot can limit the available SATA III connections from 6 down to 4 but does PCIe 5.0 x4 share or limit bandwidth with USB 3.2 Gen 2 or not.
When using Google to find out, I found the first article, from Intel (with no date) stating that M.2 PCIe 5.0 is exclusive to Intel at which point I decided once again, Google is not my friend. My friend would not place an outdated article first in search results even if they paid for a higher position in search results.

Last edited:
Mar 16, 2019
I agree. Back in the am3 days I built a number of systems for others and used mostly gigabyte. Rarely had issues. There was the one guy who did drywall in the room his computer was in and didn’t even bother to cover the computer then wondered why the computer acted funny.

The board in my current rig is an asrock ab350 pro 4 from 2017 or 18. Been a very reliable board. Running a 5800x in it these days and still running like a champ.

I feel dated. I'm currently using (2) Gigabyte GA-MA785GM-US2H and (1) GA-MA785GM-UD3H from 2009-2010 AM2+ - AM3, all still going with W8.1 and W10 dual booting and an ASUS B450 from 2019 (from the case up NIB) still haven't put together yet, although I'm tired of not having 5Gb/s or 10Gb/s USB. So it's time. I hope the ASUS last as long as the GB's have.

Last edited: