More AMD propaganda!

G

<A HREF="http://famulus.msnbc.com/famuluscom/businesswire03-19-052507.asp?sym=AMD" target="_new">http://famulus.msnbc.com/famuluscom/businesswire03-19-052507.asp?sym=AMD</A>

G

Thats good news

-- They have found a way to harness the power of a thunderstorm and expell it with great force!--

G

Of course! It was sarcasm, my friend, sarcasm. AMD passing Intel two years in a row in number of patents is something AMD should be very proud of. No small feat!

G

Hey, where's RAMBUS on that list? I guess IFIClaims doesn't count companies who patent other companies innovations.

Grizely1

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
That's simply amazing. AMD doesn't have nearly as much money as the companies it's higher than, yet they have managed to do this. Amazing.

-----------------
"648kb is all the space anyone will ever need!"

Bill Gates, 1980s

G

not to belittle AMD's accomplishments, but merely patting them on the back for having more patents in the past two years is like patting AmdMeltown on the back for having more posts.

G

Well, all I can say is that I'm happy with what AMD has done, they have come a long way. My first AMD based machine was a 386SX 25, then a 486DX-40. I didn't start using AMD CPUs until I built another computer a few months ago.

System Specs:

AMD Duron 600
192mb RAM
30GB HD
Hercules GeForce2MX
768/128 ADSL
Windows 2000 Pro

Grizely1

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
what else should we do? sell our belongings and houses and throw a huge celebration or donate it to them?

-----------------

Bill Gates, 1980s

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
You know, I was thinking the very same thing. I mean not to belittle AMD any, but, if I had the money to do that kind of paperwork, I could put out more patents than that. No one said that they'd be useful or original though.

Patent awards alone don't really mean anything.

It's all the end product that matters.

If we're going to pat AMD on the back for anything, we should do it for that, no?

-Got your money for nothing, and your chips for free.
-I want my, I want my, I want my AMD.

jlbigguy

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Hmmmmm....

Accomplishments = #Posts = #Patents?

Are Posts = Patents? NO
Are Posts = Accomplishments? NO
Are Patents = Accomplishments? YES

I just don't see the correlation between the number of AMDMELTDOWN's posts and the number of AMD's patents.

Having a significant number of patents is quite a feat, especially for a company that according to others, "is not an innovator, and only copies existing technology".

I didn't know you could copy a patent, and get credit for it.

HolyGrenade

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2001
I think he means they have so many patents that the new ones seem like 'just another one'.

<i><b><font color=red>"2 is not equal to 3, not even for large values of 2"</font color=red></b></i>

AmdMELTDOWN

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
that's just great! AMD on their way to become a monopoly!
how long 'til you pups jump ship?

I'll buy AMD for my personal sys, when they become monopolistic!

"Amd cpu...Gone in 2 secs flat, it truly is a fast chip!"

G

I think he means that he won't buy an AMD system until he has no other choice. Pretty one-eyed.

G

if you must know my reasoning is something like this.

patents = patents
patents != inovations
(you mistake is thinking a patent = some kind of inovation)

posts = posts
posts != inteligent remarks

to get a patent you do not need anything worth while or super original to be on the paper it was filed on. it is possible to patent a different technique for a process that was already invented. it just needs to get filed. to get a post you do not need to say anything useful you just need to click "continue". as a matter of fact this post is a great example because i think slv_phoenix touched on this in his post, but yet i get another post for saying the same thing slightly differently. in fact i could have left the post blank and still gotten another post... i don't think you could do that with a patent although it would be cool to patent "nothing".

spud

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2001
You should all look at what the patents are most of them are for their non volitile memory (flash). They havent had a whole lot of new patents for their processors and neither has intel for that matter. Both companies realize they have better things to do than to be totally consumed by their processors.

SPUD

<font color=blue>Just some advice from your friendly neighborhood blue man </font color=blue> :smile:

Pettytheft

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2001
Patents are a means of protection more than anything. Sometimes large companies (IBM) like to sue anyone that uses anything that remotely resembles an item that they have patented. So now companies are putting patents on everything, from methods of doing buisness to software. It's just for protection from another company walking in and saying "You owe me money for using our technique" or technology or whatever. Now they can fire back with thier arsenal of patents "Well we developed this first and it seems like you have implemented this technique without paying us royalties." Patents are more or less a new buisness technique, if you dont protect yourself, someone will patent something to specifically put you out of buisness. There are now many companies that have specific patent departments. There is such thing called a patent lawyer. Some companies offer bonuses just if a employee can create something to patent(Of course that patent belongs to the company). It's another way to make money that's all.

FUGGER

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Ibm, sure files alot of patents. makes everyone else look stupid.

AMD files alot, NBD. to file at a rate of 3 times a day, they are taking no chances at anyone improving upon current AMD designs, as well as forcing other manufacturers to pay royalties to use and AMD technology now.

Reminds me of RAMBUS, look where all its patents have landed huge lawsuits and millions royalties.

jlbigguy

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Isn't that the idea of a patent? To protect your investment, your technology and your business. Once an invention, idea, or procedure is patented, anyone else wanting to use your patented invention,idea, or procedure must pay a royalty.

HolyGrenade

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2001
yeah, but you dont share your technology, then turn around and say, ok now you're using my tech. you've gone too far to revert. so, i'm gonna screw you and ask for royalty. THATS what ramus is saying.

<i><b><font color=red>"2 is not equal to 3, not even for large values of 2"</font color=red></b></i>

Grizely1

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
you are wrong. Some posts around here (very few) are infact intelligent remarks!

-----------------

Bill Gates, 1980s