More bang for the bucks?

krayde

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2010
Alright, so this really puzzles me. Why is the Intel SSD 510 120GB more expensive then the OCZ SSD Vertex3 120GB? Because the only difference so far i can see is the Brand and the Writing and Reading Speed of the disks.

Intel SSD 510 120GB:

Reading Speed - 450 MB/sec
Writing Speed - 210 MB/sec

OCZ SSD Vertex3 120GB:

Reading Speed - 550 MB/sec
Writing Speed - 500 MB / sec

So by the looks of it the OCZ one seems to better, and cheaper. Am i missing something here? Please enlighten me!

There are business clients who are willing to pay a premium price for the Intel brand name and reliability.

Intel's bread and butter is business enterprise. Gamers and enthusiasts are not Intel's main focus. You can see it with motherboards. Intel has almost no motherboards for gamers and enthusiasts.

krayde

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2010

So you are saying...what? That its worse then the OCZ one AND more expensive?

I simply stated why an Intel ssd costs more - brand name recognition and reliability.

Reliability can become a big issue. I don't know if you are aware of it but there have been a few problems and issues with solid states drives equipped with the new SandForce 2281 controller. It's not limited to OCZ either. The Intel 510 uses a Marvell controller. So far the 510 has not had any problems or issues.

SSD performance depends on usage. The Intel 510 is not designed for gamers and enthusiasts. In fact, it would be a poor choice for a gaming pc. On the other hand it would be an excellent choice for working with incompressable data. SSD's with SandForce controllers do not do well with incompressable data.

krayde

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2010

Alright i see! :) So what which SSD would you prefer to me? Stay within the same price range as those other two please :D

I do not see any price range or link to the ssd's in your original post so I can't tell what your price range might be. Please post the information. If you are not in the USA please post the currency and if possible a link to your favorite online vendor in your country.

krayde

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2010

Oh sorry, that was a bit confusing idd.

Im from Sweden, currency is Kr, Krona, SEK (someone out of those :p)

www.inet.se i prefer.

Price range is about ~$361

You have 4 brands to choose from at inet.se - A-Data, Corsair, Intel, and OCZ.

Normally I would recommend the Intel 320 but a few days ago there were reports of a problem with the Intel 320. We don't know yet how big or how small the problem is.

Are the Crucial 300 and Crucial m4 ssd's available in Sweden? Both models use a Marvel controller and have not had any problems. The Crucial m4 is the newer ssd with a new and improved controller. It is supposed to be a very good ssd.

krayde

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2010
The Crucial 300 is apparently not available here in Sweden, but the M4 was.
The higher Writing Speed the better, yes? If thats the case it looked like for me, that the OCZ SSD Vertex3 120GB & Intel were better then the M4. Is this true?

krayde

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2010
Sweet!
I've found another SSD that seems very nice, and thats the Corsair SSD Force GT 120GB.
I also found an apparently "upgraded" version of the Vertex3 one - OCZ SSD Vertex3 120GB MAX IOPS. I don't get it. What is the difference between the Vertex3 & MAX IOPS other then 40$ difference? Obviously there is something but what? :D

There is 3 options: There is the OCZ SSD Vertex3 120GB, OCZ SSD Vertex3 120GB MAX IOPS and the Corsair SSD Force GT 120GB

Which one do you think is the best and i should go with?

Thanks!

The OCZ Vertex 3 Max IOPS is just a little bit faster than the OCZ Vertex 3

The Corsair Force GT is a brand new ssd. Here is a link to a technical review:

http://thessdreview.com/our-reviews/corsair-force-series-gt-120gb-sata-3-ssd-review-force-series-gt-vs-force-series-3-ssd-compared/

All three ssd's perform very very close to each other. Check prices and buy the ssd with the lowest price.

Here is a link to performance, closer to "real Life"
http://www.anandtech.com/show/4421/the-2011-midrange-ssd-roundup/6
While the SSDs using the SF22xx controller are considerably faster than the marvel based SSD for Sequencial read/writes - this is the Most often quoted spec - BUT also the least important. Most important is the small file random read/writes which affects boot time (How often do you boot/reboot) and program loads. The diff on program loads is to the point that it is almost a non issue. If I click on a recent Link, using a SATA II SF1200 SSD, the program is running and the spreedsheet is open before I can drag my mouse to a cell - Faster SSD will not help unless I'm superman.

From the Link, the SF2281 is about 10% faster than the Intel's 510 (Most would not really notice). So indivdual may or may not even see a diff depending on what they use the Computer for.

Two thinks to do:
(A) go to the manuf forum - Both indicate problems, but OCZ sata III is worse than Cruical M4 (a large number of M4 are with mac laptops, and with LPM, which can be disabled. OCZ seems to be firmware, but to date they have not found a "real" fix.
(B) Go to newegg (usa) and look at reviews, SATA III SF22xx vs Marvel based. You will find the OCZ Sf22xx dissatisfaction (1/2 egg) are at least twicw as High as the Marvel Masted (Intel 510, Crcial M4, & Plextor).

Note: I bought 2 Agility III, One installed fine in desktop, But other one would not install in sandy bridge Notebook so using it as a DATA drive in desktop. Ordered the M4 to replace it

Johnny has some very good links to his website on SSds.

chillin15

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2011
Your original question is an easy one to answer...

Intel doesn't ship drives that fail 20% of the time

Just look at some customer reviews on newegg, do some googling on OCZ drives and you will arrive at this conclusion yourself:

Agility 3
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=20-227-726&SortField=0&SummaryType=0&Pagesize=10&PurchaseMark=&SelectedRating=&VideoOnlyMark=&VendorMark=&IsFeedbackTab=true&chkPurchaseMark=on&Keywords=&Page=1#scrollFullInfo

46% give it 1 or 2 star reviews

Vertex 3
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227706

36% 1 or 2 star reviews

Intel 510
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820167042

11% 1 or 2 star reviews.

OCZ is fast but so is a missile. If you had a choice to hop in a car or on a missile, which one would you choose? That is the OCZ versus intel comparison.

krayde

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2010
I really don't know which one to choose after all this :p But then again, im making the upgrade in early September. Perhaps it would be better to ask for advice then? :p