News More Details About Intel's Grand Ridge and Sierra Forest CPUs Emerge

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
I feel like none of the Sierra Forest details are new? As for Crestmont, it still does not appear to feature AVX-512. So, don't get your hopes up.

As for Grand Ridge, it will likely be unobtanium, outside its target market. I'm not aware of a commercially available Snow Ridge board, but there's a chance I'm wrong.

I'm frustrated enough just trying to find Elkhart Lake Atom boards - and that's supposed to be a more mass-market product. Heck even Jasper Lake mini-ITX boards are far less common than their predecessors. It's no trouble finding them in mini-PCs, but you can almost forget about buying a Jasper Lake motherboard.

mavroxur

Distinguished
I feel like none of the Sierra Forest details are new? As for Crestmont, it still does not appear to feature AVX-512. So, don't get your hopes up.

As for Grand Ridge, it will likely be unobtanium, outside its target market. I'm not aware of a commercially available Snow Ridge board, but there's a chance I'm wrong.

I'm frustrated enough just trying to find Elkhart Lake Atom boards - and that's supposed to be a more mass-market product. Heck even Jasper Lake mini-ITX boards are far less common than their predecessors. It's no trouble finding them in mini-PCs, but you can almost forget about buying a Jasper Lake motherboard.

And you won't see a commercial board with Snow Ridge - it's sold in a BGA form factor for embedded applications , features a TON of network IO capabilities and will likely only ever be used by OEMs in networking gear / network appliances such as 5G network controllers, high end routers/aggregation switches and traffic analytics equipment.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
And you won't see a commercial board with Snow Ridge - it's sold in a BGA form factor for embedded applications ,
There are other BGA processors, which you can buy on motherboards that have them soldered down.

will likely only ever be used by OEMs in networking gear / network appliances such as 5G network controllers, high end routers/aggregation switches and traffic analytics equipment.
I understand that's the vertical it's targeting, but I wonder if Intel is actively preventing it from ending up in other markets.

Steve Nord_

Prominent
Nov 7, 2022
That was nice, but I recall when Intel cancelled Atom, so I am like, maybe don't phrase this news by way of all the other articles. Maybe say how 142 atom cores are going to serve an endpoint, being persistent multithreaded apps that do all the business logic an endpoint can authorize. Repackaging video streams like hardened phone systems that say Intel. Or not! Doing postquantum crypto in the background and serving up low compute streams. Hosting QE3. Enshittifying the entrepreneurial edge, I can't tell.

Steve Nord_

Prominent
Nov 7, 2022
And you won't see a commercial board with Snow Ridge - it's sold in a BGA form factor for embedded applications , features a TON of network IO capabilities and will likely only ever be used by OEMs in networking gear / network appliances such as 5G network controllers, high end routers/aggregation switches and traffic analytics equipment.
Hey, you know where it's at! And it's surveillance capitalism!? Is there an application that would be acceptable to Democracy like Chinese Provinces or Turkey or aspects of Europe?

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
That was nice, but I recall when Intel cancelled Atom,
They never cancelled Atom. They just limited the Atom branding to the embedded market. Both for consumer and embedded/industrial markets, you can trace the lineage of their E-cores back through many generations, to the original Atom.

What Intel did cancel was their Phone SoCs. That's probably what you're thinking of?