More Details About R420 and R500 Transpire

Vapor

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2001
<A HREF="http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/video/display/20031202110836.html" target="_new">Check this out!</A>

It's more info about the R420, <b>R500</b> and <b><font color=red>R600</font color=red></b>. Kinda cool. Looks like R420 will be 32-bit precision, with 64-bit looming in the future for the R600.

Also mentions that Longhorn will need at least a kickass card to run all the visuals (they mention it in the same clause as DX10 to give you an idea).

Not details about clockspeeds or comparative performance to the current cards.

Damn Rambus.

Vapor

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2001
The article also talks about technology cycles going from 6-12 months as they are now into 18-24 month cycles eventually.

Still no word on release date (or even which quarter) of the R420.

Damn Rambus.

Cool Thanks! Love Xbit.

The move to 18-24 months isn't really new. Heck ATI is supposed to be on an 16-18month cycle right now according to their last announcement, which was quickly mirrored by nV.

I loved this quote (about ATI's 24 bit internal precision);
"<font color=blue>but still lower than generally-recognized 32-bit processing precision.</font color=blue>"

Generally recognized by WHO? For what?
Maybe for Workstations, but not for gaming!
The only RECOGNIZED standard is DX9 and that's 24 bit, not full 32, not 'til DX9.1

Word on the release date of the R42X is in the other links on the same page. Official word won't come until about 30 days from release. Likely end of Q1 beginning of Q2 of '04.

Not much more info though. Alot of rehashing what they've already covered (that's the problem with actually getting the 'official' line. But there's likely not much they could say to surprise us now, unless they do change their pixel shaders to an # x 2 format like nV. Funny that they didn't mention the R450 (the on with supposedly to be built on 0.11 process).

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red> GA to SK :evil:

<b>-NEW PIC IN THGC ALBUM-</b>

Vapor

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2001
Yeah, it's surprising that there is no R450 is mentioned, but the R600 is. Oh well, good ol' PR must have been told that .11 micron isn't going as well as expected and to talk about the 600 instead. All I know is that I'm getting whatever is best when the next wave comes out.

Damn Rambus.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
9800XT technology is already around 18 months old.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

ecar016

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2002
U guys still dont get it.......
the companies are around to make money......
Nvidia lost a product cycle with the 5800. That put ATI in the lead and that's why we have the 9800XT vs 5950 Ultra.
Some say ATI has a secret pact with Nvidia to allow Nvidia to catch up a little to allow ATI to sell alot of aging stock of premium 9800's and 9600's.

ATI's next cards are already ready. Waiting for prescott and PCI-Express. No new cards till April 2004. Sorry will have to wait.

EC

<font color=red> Quantum Computers! - very interesting </font color=red>